Sign in to follow this  
bpreston

Open File Backup: -1019

I have yet to get Open File Backup working on a new install of 6.5, SBS. My error is:

error -1019 (not enough resources)

Such a descriptive error message! smile.gif I was incapable of finding an online resource which listed what these error codes mean--wouldn't such a thing be handy, since the point of error codes is to tell the user what went wrong?

I've tried the suggestions posted on the forum for other users to get OFB working, to no avail. Logged in as administrator, Launcher started as administrator.

(And, a clarification--is OFB simply for backing up the localhost? Can the OFB functionality not be extended to client machines?)

The launcher should be running as with the default settings, "local system account". It should not be running as "administrator".

Open file should work with the clients. Is if failing on a specific user or with every user. Feet free to include the log section reporting this error.

Sorry--I meant it's running as the 'default': Local System Account. I tried running as administrator, but it had no effect. Here's my log snippets:

+ Normal backup using Daily Backup--Even Weeks at 5/22/2003 12:59 AM (Execution unit 1)

To Backup Set EvenTapeSet...

Can't use Open File Backup option for Drive C (C:), error -1019 (not enough resources)

- 5/22/2003 12:59:00 AM: Copying Drive C (C:)

File "C:\WINNT\system32\Perflib_Perfdata_4d4.dat": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\WINNT\system32\wins\j50.log": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\WINNT\system32\wins\wins.mdb": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\WINNT\system32\wins\winstmp.mdb": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\WINNT\Temp\VxsvcError.log.tmp": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

5/22/2003 1:17:27 AM: Snapshot stored, 51.1 MB

5/22/2003 1:17:30 AM: 5 execution errors

Remaining: 5 files, 4,168 KB

Completed: 14 files, 10.2 MB

Performance: 303.4 MB/minute

Duration: 00:17:52 (00:10:20 idle/loading/preparing)

(it does this for every server drive. It does this for volumes that don't have any open files, as well):

Can't use Open File Backup option for BigMama (M:), error -1019 (not enough resources)

- 5/22/2003 1:18:11 AM: Copying BigMama (M:)

5/22/2003 2:34:19 AM: Snapshot stored, 37.1 MB

5/22/2003 2:34:22 AM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 1 files, 65.9 GB

Performance: 1074.2 MB/minute

Duration: 01:16:46 (00:01:02 idle/loading/preparing)

--

The clients do not report that they are using the Open File Backup option, but the only errors I seem to be getting on the clients are other weird ones (like 'improper seek'), which I think are just disc corruption on the client.

The hardware (should it matter) is a Dell Poweredge 2650. Discs are all SCSI volumes. There's this 'Storage Manager' software Dell ships on these systems to manage the arrays--this wouldn't be causing a problem, right? I guess I'm not quite sure what the 'open file backup' option in Restrospect does in order to function.

While I'm listing my problems with Retrospect, it also appears that the 'Execution Performance Threshold' doesn't have the expected behavior: You'd think it would keep going if a client dropped below the threshold set, but instead the entire backup operation aborts if one client drops below that threshold.

I've updated to the current version and it still has not resolved the Open File Backup -1019 error messages. Please give me some suggestions on how to get the software working.

Did you ever get this figured out? I received the following email from our Retrospect 6.5 Multi Server this evening, and I have no idea what's going on:

"Can't use Open File Backup option for Drive C (C:) on Epson 7600 Color Proofer, error -1019 (not enough resources)"

What does this mean?

Hi

Is this still the machine with the Dell software raid? The open file module needs to use a section of the disk in order to keep track of writes. It could be that the RAID software is not allowing the open file module to get that space. How much free space is on the volume being backed up? a good 500MB or better of free space is probably a good idea.

Thanks

Nate