Assertion -182 Error

OK, since Retrospect 5 for OSX is still, in essence in beta, I've been forced to switch to OS9. However, I can no longer get a backup using Retrospect 5 on OS9. Twice in two days (once during an automated script and the other time on the Backup Server) I've gotten an assertion error of -182. The dialog box claims this is an internal error. Once this happens my only choice is to force reboot the machine, as Retrospect hangs during the quit. Once this resulted in a bad backup set, so I had to rebuild the catalog file.

So, Dantz forced me to upgrade to 5 when the 4.3 version of the OSX client expired and has delivered a product without the promised functionality (no OSX support for me) or a system that is less stable than it's predecessor. I would call Dantz to discuss this, but I'm sure as hell not forking out *more* money for support (I don't get any free support because I've been a loyal customer and got the upgrade).

I know Dantz released a preview, but I'm beginning to wonder if they actually fixed any of the bugs or just waited until 5 days before the 4.3 beta expired to ship the product so that we would have no choices. :-(

Hi, I too had been fighting this for days. I too had a dilemna as yours.....The short answer is to make sure that OS 9.x or prior clients have personal file sharing disabled. Not sure how an Appleshare IP server would behave as I recently upgrade mine to OS X. I have no problems backing up a OS X server or clients.

Peter Haase

Systems & Network Manager

Los Alamos National Laboratory

It's difficult to offer you any suggestions without more details on your set-up and more information about the crash. I understand that you are frustrated.

What is the exact text of the error?

What OS are you running (exactly)?

What are you backing up to?

Has this happened on multiple backup sets? Was it backing up a client? The same client both times?

Thanks,

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Actually, that's why I asked for more details. The assert code that I think you are referring to is elem.c-812.

If I'm mistaken, and you are actually receving "assert error -182" please let me know. This is *not* the same as the assert we are looking into, which is referred to elsewhere.

Thanks,

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

I'll have to wait for it to happen again, but I suspect it will be there in the morning. I'll post the *exact* message here. In the meantime, I'm running Mac OS 9.2.2 on a PowerMacintosh G3 Blue & White with a 15gig drive (12gigs free) and 256mb of memory. Retrospect is the only application running (besides the Finder) and has been assigned 150mb of RAM, leabing about 73mb unused. We're using a MilesBlueNote SCSI card connected to a Sony TCL-300 autoloader, which has a mechanism which is listed as approved. All of this worked with 4.3. If I can't get this resolved within the next 48 hours I'm going to become pretty insistent that I a) get a refund and B) get a non-expiring version of the 4.3 OSX client to use until Dantz can ship a functional product. While the 4.3 OSX client had it's problems, it backed up documents, which is all I really needed. Now I have nothing.

OK, I didn't have to wait until morning. The 5.0 backup took down our main file server (PowerMac G3 B&W 512mb RAM, external RAID5 array, OS9 with ASIP - just so we can dispense with the stall tactics of asking what I'm running) while trying to back it up via the 5.notreallyevenbeta client. Here's the message I'm getting on the Retrospect server:

Trouble in Retrospect:

Internal consistency check failed:

Assertion check at "elem.c-812"

So here I sit with a forced upgrade that not only doesn't do backups any longer, but it also crashes my servers. Two step backwards, two more steps backwards. Having just drove 30 minutes one way to reboot the server Retrospect crashed, I am well beyond frustrated at this point. My email address is in my profile. I expect someone from Dantz to contact me first thing in the morning (I guess on the West coast for you all) to discuss a full refund and that OSX 4.3 client. I figure a refund is only fair. I've spent 8 hours already trying to get this working and am looking at staff time of another 16 person hours to de-install the 5.notreallyeveninbeta client from 130 machines, re-install the perfectly functional 4.3 client, and recreate all my backups from scratch. At industry bill rates of (on the low side) $75/hr, that's $1,800. If I subtract my upgrade cost, Dantz still owes me just under $1,200. And if Dantz won't release the 4.3 OSX client then I'm probably looking at another 8 hours to jerry rig an OSX backup solution.

Kyle Johnson

Manager, Information Systems

Duke University Student Affairs

Hi, It would be interesting to see if you still get the error if you disable file sharing on the ASIP server. Another thing you could do is send Dantz the error log that gets stashed when you get the assert error. I had my tech run around this morning and disable personal file sharing on all the OS 9.x Macs and ran server all day without a problem. I guess the assert error could be caused by other scenarios as well. Dantz is really keeping quiet about this. They do not want to admit anything in Public such as on the Macintouch or Macfixit site until they have a fix. Well, I think that is ridiculous. Lucky for us there may be more options for backup available once we upgrade all Macs to OS X.

Disabling file sharing is not an option on our ASIP boxes. All privilege information is lost if the backup is done while file sharing is disabled. So if I ever have to do a full restore I'm screwed. And a backup with no good restore is not a backup at all.

If they don't release an non-expiring 4.x OSX client tomorrow, they won't have an option on keeping quiet. This issue is too important to keep people in the dark.

Greetings,

Dantz has released a minor update to Retrospect Backup version 5.0 that all customers should download and install.

This update fixes a problem that caused all Retrospect Backup 5.0 editions running under Mac OS X to continually increase their memory usage while any LaunchCFMApp process was running. (LaunchCFMApp is a process used in Mac OS X to open Carbon applications.)

This update also fixes a problem that caused Retrospect Desktop, Workgroup, and Server Backup 5.0 editions running under Mac OS 9 to assert failure (with "elem.c-812") when backing up a client AppleShare IP Server or a client computer that has personal file sharing turned on. (This issue does not affect Retrospect Express installations.)

Retrospect Express 5.0 Updater:

ftp://ftp.dantz.com/pub/updates/Express_50203_Update.sit

Retrospect Desktop/Workgroup/Server 5.0 Updater:

ftp://ftp.dantz.com/pub/updates/Retrospect_50203_Update.sit

Thank you.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

• 1 month later...

I am trying to back up an OSX client using Retrospect, but I only have Retrospect 4.3. Am I going to have to upgrade to Retrospect 5 if I want to do so? 99% of my users are still using OS9. Is there not an 4.3 OSX client?

Thanks.

~John in SD

Archived