Insufficient Permissions

ols1

I have retrospect for workgroups ver. 5.15 for Windows. I am trying to set it up so that It not only backs up my local drives but also a couple of drives on computers connected to my LAN. I have created an automated script where the Sources contain my local drives and folders on drives on other computers. The script runs in the middle of the night. In the morning my computer has a pop up window stating that the external sources were not backed up due to "insufficient permissions". I have gone into the script and double clicked on the external source which will then allow me to enter a username and password for the source. After doing so, that source gets backed up as expected along with my local drives, however, the next backup fails due to insufficient permissions. For some reason, Retrospect does not retain the username and password for the source.

How can I get Retrospect to back up the sources on the LAN? The workgroup edition appears to have come with 20 client licenses which I am not using as I am still trying to understand how this all works. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

You're probably receiving error -1017 when running automatically because the Retrospect Launcher service (the service that allows Retrospect to autolaunch) is configured to log in as a user that does not have access to this network volume (I'm assuming this is a Microsoft Networking volume).

I've included the relevant part of the Retrospect User's Guide which has instructions on how to work around this:

Windows NT 4.0

1. Open the Services Control Panel.

2. Select Retrospect Launcher and then click the Startup button.

3. In the “Log On As” section select This Account. LocalSystem will appear in the field to the right.

4. Change “LocalSystem” to the account you want to use and then enter your password in the two password fields. (This allows automatic backup while logged in as the specified account, or while logged out.)

5. Restart the Launcher Service.

For step 4: this user has to be a local administrator, or member of the local administrators group.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I would have never thought of that in a million years. It worked perfectly! When I checked the machine this morning there were no error messages on the screen and the report log indicated that everything backed up just as it was supposed to.

Thanks again for your quick & accurate help!

Steve

Archived