FULL restore onto redhat 7.3

Just wondering how far I can take a restore with Linux and Retrospect. We have 2 volumes which are / (root) and /boot and I'm trying to restore as much as possible so there is little tweaking afterwards. I restored / on one machine to / on another and did not restore the /boot partition. Upon rebooting, my modules were out of wack because the kernel/module versions were different between the two machines. I rebuilt a test system and restored both / and /boot before I rebooted, and now GRUB (boot loader) just says:

GRUB

and then the machine halts. Should I just pick and choose what I want to restore from the /boot partition? Or should I be going about this in an entirely different way?

Thank you,

James Herschel

Systems Administrator

• 3 weeks later...
Guest psykoyiko

You may need to rerun grub after you do the restore, so that it can update the block location of the kernel to boot.

When restoring a linux client, Retrospect requires that everything be the exact same version as it was at the time of the backup, for exactly the reason that you encountered. Module symbols will not be accurate, and their might be other kernel differences that could cause a problem.

• 1 month later...

I don't know how most people do this with retrospect, but in the past I've found that the best way to backup unix systems is to just backup data that cannot be easily replace. I wouldn't backup anything that couldn't easily be re-installed off the cd. I would backup stuff like configuration files, and user directories. It's even easier these days since you can build kickstart images with RedHat's installer and easily get the system back to where it should be.

Personally, I'd rather install the system, know its working, and then restore the users files. It may take a little longer to get things back up, but atleast you know its going to work.

-miah

Archived