Not Enough Memory/Win2K SP3/Novell Client 4.83

tmer

I'm backing up a Novell NetWare 5.1 SP5 server with a Windows 2000 Prof. SP3 workstation, using Novell Client 4.83 SP1. Workstation has 1GB RAM (w/Max Paging File Size set to 2048MB). I have used Retro 6.0 Prof. and also Single Svr. Backups ran flawlessly with Windows 2000 SP2, but had to upgrade to SP3 for a performance issue.

Backups run okay for an hour or so, then I get errors like:

TPCFile::BackupReadOpen: UCreateFile failed, \\Svr\DATA\...\jone.doc, winerr 8, error -1018

File "\\Svr\DATA\jone2.doc": can't read, error -1018 (not enough memory)

Trouble reading files, error -1018 (not enough memory)

3/13/2003 9:57:48 PM: Execution incomplete

Can't access volume Sys on Svr2, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

TProcessToken::SetPrivilege: LookupPrivilegeValueW failed, winerr 8, error -1018

TProcessToken::SetPrivilege: LookupPrivilegeValueW failed, winerr 8, error -1018

After these errors, the computer runs very slowly and is usually unable to open any apps or windows (like it's out of memory). Ran backups on another computer (different brand and CPU type) with 512MB of RAM and also Windows 2000 Prof. SP3 and got the same errors. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Retrospect and the Novell Client. No difference. Thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...

We haven't seen any issues, but it's interesting that these problems coincide with the SP3 update. Have you checked the Microsoft site for any known issues between SP 3 and Netware?

Can you see/backup the computer through Win Networking?

Are you using the same backup set for the Win client and the Novell backup? How big is the catalog? Have you tried a new backup set? Large catalogs will require more memory when matching volumes.

Archived