Duplicate from internal to external drive: must partititions be same size?

Question: Can one Duplicate and keep in sync an internal drive partition's contents on a smaller partition on an external drive? If so, do I have to do anything differently than one would do in duplicating and syncing between internal and external partitions of the same size? Does the Duplicate process clone just folder and file contents or does it also copy drive fragments to the external drive partion during either the Duplicate or sync operations.

(Retrospect operated superbly in duplicating my 2 internal partitions to an external firewire drive on which I'd created matching size partitions. I'd like to erase the external drive and create an additional partition. To capture the space on the external for the 3rd partition, I'd have to reduce the space allotted to the 2 other partitions.)

Your counsel would be very much appreciated. Respectfully, NormN

You can duplicate to any destination - providing the destination has enough free space to accomodate the files.

Keep in mind that Retrospect is not synchronization software. A duplicate is a one way operation. If you change files on your source and your destination, the changes on the destination drive will be overwritten when you perform your duplicate.

Archived