Matshita Drive (DVD-RAM) in Power Mac G4

I have an older G4 with one of the early DVD-RAM drives. Apple System Profiler says it's a Matshita DVD-RAM LF-D211A. I'm wondering if this drive is supported under Mac OS X, and I can't find any mention of it in either the Yes or No lists. Can anyone tell me if they've been successful with this?

DVD-RAM drives are supported by Retrospect if they function normally in the Finder. We rely on the operating system to write to, erase and read from the DVD-RAM cartridges and don't load our own driver for these devices.

We haven't tested this particular drive, but since we don't write a driver for DVD-RAM anyway, if the OS can see and write to it, Retrospect will too.

Now that's just Retrospect support. As for OS X support, I'm afraid I don't have that information. Perhaps someone with experience using that drive can share their results.

• 2 weeks later...

I went ahead and bought Express 5.0 for Mac OS X. But it won't work with my Matshita DVD-RAM drive. I get an error that says "Couldn't erase disk, error 102 (trouble communicating)." The happens even after I've reformatted the disk and it's already empty. The device says, in Apple System Profile, that it is an Apple Disc burning supported DVD-RAM drive, A115, DVD-RAM LF-D211A atapi device.

I have an older G4 (500 MHz) with a DVD-RAM as well. I used Express to backup; it filled one side of the disk. I flipped it over (double-sided), the disk showed up on the Desktop, but it didn't show up as an option in Retrospect. Retrospect's device scan saw the drive, however. Any ideas about how to solve this one? I'm using OS X 10.1.3 and Express 5 for OS X.

Ron

• 1 year later...

I too, have Matshita LF-D211A mechanism, driver A115. I just upgraded RetroExpress to v5.0.238 and *still* no ability to format the 9.4Gig DVD-RAM disks reliably, either by OS X or recognized within Express. I've gone 8mos without a backup waiting for what Dantz has said was an issue on their part after OS X v10.2.2 and I'm getting nervous. I either eat my $100 worth of DVD-RAMs and buy more 5.2Gig disks, or keep waiting for Dantz and risk a loss of data.

Whats the status of solving this issue?

thanks.

Archived