Anyone using the Linux Client?

Is anyone out there using the Linux Client?

I have a a few redhat boxes that I want to backup using Retrospect, but I just wanted to get some feedback regarding people's experiences before I take the plunge. Specifically,

1. Does it work reliably?

2. have you been able to backup the entire system, and then restore in the event of a disaster?

3. Any other general experiences, advice, etc...

Thanks!

Yes - I am using the client - have not had much experience. I have not had to do a restore, and certainly have not had to recover from a disaster at this point. But I have run into a bit of a problem. I run the proactive server backup - backing up 3 Windows machines and 3 Linux boxes - running 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0 of Redhat. The win clients are backed up continuously with no problems reported. The Linux clients, however, run into a problem after the first complete backup done on a given backup set. After the first backup of a given client, I get messages with each filesystem saying "Trouble matching /filesystem on hostname to BackupSetName, error -641 (chunk checksum didn't match)". Note that I am running 6.0.206 with no driver updates applied.

I have looked up this error and it talks about corruption of the backup set - but the other win clients are not experiencing the same problem - so I think there is some particular problem with their Unix/Linux client support.

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased this product for backing up Windows and Mac clients, and would like to give a shot at backing up a Linux server too. But it seems immediately limiting that because of the non-case sensitivity in Windows, that some files will not be backed up with "100% accuracy". The fact that filenames that are identical except for case-sensitive characters are restored to indexed filenames was a turnoff. What do you folks do to archive files residing in the same directory, such as

Readme.txt

readme.txt

to make restoring them easier? Do you tar directories first?

---Pam

Archived