Retrospect & CDRW Brands

Hi all, new to this board..

I'm having difficulty with finding a brand or brands of cdrw media that will work reliably with Retrospect 5.0.238.

In my testing so far, Maxell 1x4 cdrw media does work without returning error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.) in OSX.2.3 using my Quicksilver 2001 G4733's internal Sony CRX155E burner. Both the TDK 4x10 and TEAC 4x10 brands do not work. The Sony CRX155E is on the list of supported burners. All three of these media brands work fine for data, music, and copy burns- both in the Finder and with Toast Lite 5.2 in OSX.2.3.

On my daughter's B&W G3, using an external EZQuest Boa 24x10x40 firewire burner, none of the three mentioned media brands work with Retrospect. In fact, Retrospect hangs every time at 'erasing disk', and requires a force quit. The G3 is running Mac OS9.2.2 with Toast Lite 5.2 with all the usual appropriate extensions on and off, and the Boa is on the list of supported burners. Again, all three of these media brands work fine for data, music, and copy burns- both in the Finder and with Toast Lite 5.2 in OS9.2.2.

In both system configurations, Retrospect works great for file backups, internal or external.

Perhaps I'm overlooking something, but from what I can tell, Retrospect seems to be pretty picky about what cdrw media it will reliably work with. It's nice that at least the Maxell will work for me in X, but it would be even nicer to find one that would work in 9! I'm new to backing up to cds with Retrospect. Has it always been this picky or is something else going on? If its Retrospect, you'd think there'd be a list somewhere of what media brands work and those that didn't..

Archived