New SCSI card support

Dantz is happy to report that we have tested and qualified Retrospect with the following Adaptec cards under Mac OS 10.2.2.

PowerDomain 29160N (Requires Mac OS X 10.2.2 with Adaptec driver 1.2 or

later)

PowerDomain 29160 (Requires Mac OS X 10.2.2 with Adaptec driver 1.2 or

later)

PowerDomain 39160 (Requires Mac OS X 10.2.2 with Adaptec driver 1.2 or

later)

SCSI Card AVA-2906

PowerDomain AHA-2930CU

A complete list of supported SCSI cards is found at:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27381

Thanks

Amy

Dantz Tech Support

Hi Amy,

What's the procedure you go through to determine which cards are going to be tested and qualified? Does the manufacturer need to initiate the process? Is it customer demand?

I'm curious because you don't have any CardBus SCSI cards on the list and I've been afraid to try the few CardBus SCSI cards on the market because either:

1. They don't have a clear statement about OSX support

- or -

2. They aren't on Dantz's supported list.

I've since found I can use The RATOC CB32PB card with my Sony SDT-9000, but I felt I was taking a big risk in purchasing the card beforehand.

Cheers,

Q

• 2 months later...

Yes - this card is still supported. When the drive "disappears" within Retrospect do you see it in the Apple System Profiler?

Have you tried reinstalling the Adaptec Driver? Something may have been overwritten with the software update.

Do you have another computer where you can try this drive? Or another hard drive you can boot off with the earlier OS?

the drive is still there in Apple System Profiler, but *not* visible to Retrospect (ie, "device status" says no drives vislble.)

I reinstalled the Adaptec 1.2 driver -- no difference.

What I ended up doing was moving the catalog file to another backup system (a G4/450 instead of a G4/533 -- but also with an Adaptec 29160 card and a different DLT-8000 drive) and I was able to restore the files. all that proved to me was that there wasn't anything wrong with the tapes/catalog file. And *probably* not a problem with 10.2.4/Adaptec 29160 card :-/

the only real difference between the machines (apart from the CPU) is that the APS Quantum DLT-8000 drives appear to have different driver/versions.

I've not had the time (yet) to try swapping the DLT drives to see if the problem follows the drive or not.

the only real difference between the machines (apart from the CPU) is that the APS Quantum DLT-8000 drives appear to have different driver/versions.

Different driver versions where? In Retrospect?

I've not had the time (yet) to try swapping the DLT drives to see if the problem follows the drive or not.

This would be a great test to help isolate the problem. My initial thought is that there is card or drive problem at play.

Yes -- Retrospect lists different driver versions:

I have 4 APS DLT-8000 (Quantum) drives bought at different times in the past few years -- each on their own CPU (4 total backup "systems")

Retro lists the drives as:

version: 0114 driver: DLT 40.0DC (5.02) -- this is on the machine that didn't work

version: 023C driver: DLT 40.0(5.01) -- this one worked (using another machine)

version: 0114 driver: DLT 40.0DC (5.01) -- this worked this morning

version: 0250 driver: DLT 40.0 (5.01) -- haven't tried this morning.

All machines are running 10.2.4. All have Adaptec 29160 cards with 1.2 firmware and 1.2 driver.

I'm still trying to nail down what's wrong. *Backup* on the machine that wouldn't restore has worked with no problems (as it has on the other 3.)

I will probably actually try an OS reload before I try swapping drives.

I've also bumped all 4 machines from 384M RAM to 896M RAM (by adding a 512M chip) yesterday. Not that this should matter, though...

• 6 months later...

I just installed Retrospect 5.1, driver 4.1.109, on my new G5 DP 2gig with my older ATTO UL3D SCSI card and LaCie AIT Autoloader. All worked fine yesterday with my G4 DP 1.42 (same set up) but now, Retrospect does not recognize the AIT. Apple System Profiler sees the ATTO card. I tried full shutdown of all devices, plug in the cable to the second channel (dual channel card), WD-40 all over the inside of my G5.... no really, I did not do that...

Is there an issue with the G5? Could there be an issue with the PCI port? The ATTO card is in slot 3. Could it be the driver update?

-help-

Quote:

Apple System Profiler sees the ATTO card

But does it see the drive? What information is provided by the ASP on the drive itself?

Also, the ATTO line of Ultra3 SCSI adapters are the only adapters with announced G5 compatibility. These adapters requires version 2.0.0 of the ExpressPCI Plus driver to be installed on the G5 for them to function properly.

• 1 month later...

Archived