kernel panic

I just installed Retrospect Workgroup 5.0 on my Mac OS X Server machine. When Retrospect went to run a backup of another machine across the network, the server died with a kernel panic. The message in the kernel panic said "SCSI (Adaptec78XX): Max S/G segments exceeded". The kernel panic appeared after Retrospect had scanned the disk on the other machine and was about to begin writing files to the tape. I was doing a new backup of the entire disk and Retrospect reported 146,416 files and 11.6 Gb of data to be backed up.

The machine is configured as follows:

Blue and White G3 400 MHz

512 Mb RAM

2 internal 9 Gb Ultra 2 SCSI drives > Adaptec 2940U2B (Apple supplied with server)

External LaCie DDS-4 tape drive (on same 2940U2B card as internal drives)

OS X Server 10.1.3

Retrospect Workgroup 5.0

The tape drive uses the Sony SDT-10000 tape mechanism.

The SCSI card is not listed under the supported or un-supported web pages on this web site.

The LaCie DDS-4 tape drive is not listed in the hardware list.

The server and tape drive were used to do backups under Mac OS 9 and Retrospect 4.3.

My questions are:

1. Is the kernel panic caused by a bug in Retrospect 5.0 or a bug in Apple's SCSI driver?

2. Is the Adaptec 2940U2B (Apple OEM) SCSI card supported by Retrospect 5.0?

3. Is the LaCie DDS-4 tape drive supported by Retrospect 5.0?

4. Is there some way to work around this problem?

Thanks,

Steve

SteveG asks?

>Is the Adaptec 2940U2B (Apple OEM) SCSI card supported by Retrospect 5.0?

That card is not supported by Apple or Adaptec for use with OSX!

The Adaptec version of the card (I think it's the 2940U2W?) is listed in the Adaptec website as no plans to be supported:

htt://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/markeditorial.html?cat=%2fTechnology%2fMacintosh&prodkey=mac_osx_info&type=Technology

And Apple has said nothing about an upgrade program, which at least Adaptec promises that it will be offering...

CallMeDave replys

>SteveG asks?

>>Is the Adaptec 2940U2B (Apple OEM) SCSI card supported by Retrospect 5.0?

>That card is not supported by Apple or Adaptec for use with OSX!

>The Adaptec version of the card (I think it's the 2940U2W?) is listed in the Adaptec website as no plans to be supported:

>http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/markeditorial.html?cat=%2fTechnology%2fMacintosh&prodkey=mac_osx_info&type=Technology

>And Apple has said nothing about an upgrade program, which at least Adaptec promises that it will be offering...

After reading your reply, I did some research on the Apple web site to determine if the Adaptec 2940U2B (Apple OEM) SCSI card is supported on Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server.

The web page for Mac OS X requirements lists the Power Mac G3 (Blue and White) as a supported configuration.

The web page for the Mac OS X Server is more specific on supported hardware. Although the the Power Mac G3 and 2940U2B card are listed as supported, the 2940U2B has a caveat associated with it. The caveat says "For optimal performance and compatibility with Mac OS X Server, it is recommended that you upgrade this card."

I guess I am wondering what is meant by the word "optimal" in the caveat. My Mac OS X server has been running fine on the G3 since I installed it on Oct 17, 2001. The only problem I have seen is the one I am having now with Retrospect Workgroup 5.0.

Can you explain why you stated that the 2940U2B is not supported on OS X?

Archived