Disappointing Speed Test

Under OS 9, Retrospect 4.3, typical backup speed is 231 mb/minute.

My latest test under Retrospect 5, OSX is 122 mb/minute.

Can anyone tell me why?

Each OSX version I have tested shows the same symptoms. The Retrospect progress bar periodically freezes, the tape repositions, and after awhile the progress bar moves again and the backup continues. When the progress bar freezes in Retrospect, other functions on the computer are not locked up.

My configuration:

Mac OS X v10.2.2, dual 500mhz G4

Advansys ASB-3940U2W SCSI card with firmware version 3.32, without .pkg driver installed

(This is the configuration of the SCSI driver/firmware blessed by Dantz)

Ecrix VXA-1 tape drive (ultra 2 wide, capable of burst speed of 80 mb/SECOND!)

Retrospect v5.0.238

--------------------

The test backups are error free. I have not tried to determine how much tape is wasted around the time of the freezes. Since Dantz has tested and approved the SCSI card and the OS9 version is fast and reliable, that leads me to suspect both OSX and Retrospect.

Any suggestions?

Charlie Stillman

Sound Database Design, Inc.

Today I read Pendragon's: "VXA-1 stoppages again!" posting

in this forum dated 11/18/02.

The stoppages he referred to were apparently the same as the freezes I was seeing.

He reported going back to an older driver that was stoppage free.

So...

Today I tried the 3.2.104 driver update and the freeze problem is gone! It appears that the backup speed is also acceptable.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that Retrospect 5 is really functional. I have been battling this problem for ten weeks. During that time I purchased, then returned Retrospect and spent countless hours fruitlessly testing new versions. I still think tech support should have provided a solution.

In reply to:

I have been battling this problem for ten weeks. During that time I purchased, then returned Retrospect and spent countless hours fruitlessly testing new versions. I still think tech support should have provided a solution.

Did you _call_ tech support?

This Forum isn't an official channel, although it is hosted and visited by at least some Dantz officials. But my experience with Dantz tech support is that they stay with you until the problem is either solved, or they admit that it is unsolvable.

It was a great bargin when it was free. I haven't had to pay (yet) but I trust that it's still as good as it used to be.

I did not phone tech support to risk a fee. Here's why:

Dantz had not approved my SCSI card until a couple weeks ago.

I wasn't going to pay to hear tech support tell me that. I did think this forum was monitored better by tech support, so went the forum route.

I had checked all of the Dantz online sources repeatedly and saw no knowledge base statement that the freeze problem was related to the Dantz driver and that any driver version fixed the problem. It wasn't even acknowledged as a problem though it was mentioned in this forum several times. If the freeze problem was fixed, I have to guess that the fix was no accident and that Dantz should have publicized it. It is now the policy of Dantz to encourage people to use online resources.

I tried. I used to tell the world that Dantz support was the best in the business. Now I only can rate it as good. I am sure they are all well-intentioned. I am also sure there are business reasons to change the policy. I am frankly amazed that the company has done as well as it has supporting all the OS's, drivers, peripherals, and cards.

Dantz refunded my money for version 5 when it did not work properly. Now that it works for me, I can purchase it again!

Archived