Tape AutoLoaders

I am wondering if the issues with Tape loaders have been addressed. I checked the compatibility list and it states that my Exabyte EZ-17 autoloader is compatible. But it said that when the Preview came out and it didn't work. The drive showed up but there is no robotics control. I have heard that a few other loaders have had the same problem with the preview release.

Shawn

Heya,

I was having a horrible experience with my EZ-17 on a new 800MHz G4 with the Apple-supplied ATTO UL3D. It just wouldn't work with Retrospect Workgroup Backup in OS 9, with a current Advanced Driver Kit. Finally I decided to try an Adaptec 2940UW, and voila, works perfectly.

I just ordered Retrospect Server 5, and seeing the revised SCSI card compatibility list for OS X makes me a little nervous. It looks like the card I couldn't get to work in 9 is supported in X and vice versa. The ATTO card didn't seem to work in the preview, so I guess only time will tell.

This is crazy.

-buz

• 1 month later...

I have an ATL L200 (8 tape DLT Autoloader) and an ATL P1000 (30 tape DLT Autoloader).

The P1000 is connected to a G4 DP 500 running OS X 10.1.4 and Retrospect 5 R205.

Both loaders had the problem of the robotics not showing up under the Retrospect 5 beta.

Under Retrospect 5 R205 the robotics show up and are functional.

These are both HVD SCSI devices, so I am using an ATTO ExpressPCI PSC/DC. This card like all ATTo card is fully OS X Native. No additional drivers needed.

I do have two problems confronting me, however.

Under the Control menu while running a backup script Retrospect show Run Interactively. If I try to switch it to Run Unattended it won't switch. However it does change tape with the autoloader and acts like it is running in Unattened mode. If I bring up the log or click around in Retospect while it's in (stealth) Unattended mode it switches back to Run Interactively. I know this because it won't change tapes with the autoloader anymore. If I switch back to Unattended mode using the Control menu it behaves itself, except for still displaying Run Interactively in the menu.

This happens using the P1000. I haven't verified this with the L200 yet.

Another documented problem is the 1000 GB limit for a backup set. I hit the ceiling the other day for my 8 week backup cycle. The only solution is to do a new media backup and shorten my backup cycle.

Eric

• 1 month later...

Archived