Backing up a single NT 4 or W2K Server with Retro

Hi,

Having to update my two 4.3 Workgroup servers to version to be able to continue to backup my OS X Clients and servers and now seem to have a *HUGE* problem, because I also use the 4.3 Retro servers to back a single NT4 or Win2K server at each location. I just paid for the 5.0 Server edition, but now it appears I will neet to buy backup drives and backup software for each of my 2 NT based servers! With 4.3, I just added the clients in and backed them up with the rest of the clients and servers.

This will cost me thousands of dollars and doesn't seem like an upgraded feature! Please tell me there is another way to do this.

Thanks,

Tim

They'll still work...we just don't recommend it.

We still can't get NTFS privileges and other alternate data vectors on Windows clients from the Mac application. The Registry Backup Manager that ships with Retrospect Client 5.6 and later is a tool used by Retrospect for Macintosh for Registry backup. The Registry Backup Manager does not back up most Windows 2000 Server state databases (i.e. not Active Directory, Certificate Services, and the IIS Metabase.)

We haven't removed the ability to log these clients in, but Retrospect for Windows is still the only way to get a *complete* backup of a Windows Server.

Best regards,

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Okay, so if I run the 5.0 installer on my 4.3 Backup server, I will still be able to back up data on that NT server with the Win 5.6 client. That is all I need. I don't need to registry, system files, etc., just the data from a few databases that run on it. Thanks,

Tim

Okay, next question. Will the upgrade use my current Apple Events scripts that email me using Outlook Express when the job starts and ends? The 5.0 Manual seems to say they work the same as 4.3 on a OS 9.X Retro Server, but wondered if the upgrade will use my current scripts without modification?

Thanks,

Tim

As long as you leave Retrospect open (under OS X). Here's a summary:

Retrospect 5.0 running under OS 9 is fully scriptable.

Retrospect 5.0 running under OS X can only trigger AppleScript events when launched manually. The Retrospect Event Handler is not triggered when the application is automatically launched.

To trigger Event Handlers for scheduled operations under OS X, including E-mail notifications and Backup Server reports, launch Retrospect manually and always leave it running.

The Retrospect client running under OS X is not scriptable, but a Mac client running under a previous operating system (9.x and prior) is scriptable.

• 1 month later...

Irena,

It's pretty severe security risk to leave Retrospect open all the time. Remember that it has admin privileges and you can easily delete any file using the built-in files browser. Also, Retrospect allows to copy any file to any destination regardless of the privileges, giving access to secret files to anyone having access to the open machine.

I found it pretty frustrating that the Retrospect Workgroup on MacOS X isn't even able to send simple notification messages. This is way below what is to be expected from a server solution: I do not understand why Retrospect still needs AppleScript for these operations, when it either should have its own mail sender capability or use UNIX tools like sendmail to accomplish this task.

More on that: because of the AppleScript handler not working, it's not possible to backup running FileMaker databases!!!! :-(

We are working with Apple to address this, but until a solution is available, you will need to implement other security measures on the computer that runs Retrospect (such as a password-protected screensaver).

It's very possible that Retrospect will be able to send messages without requiring AppleScript in a future release, and I've forwarded your comments to our developers.

Archived