BackUp or Duplicate?

When running Retrospect Desktop in OS X, what is the more intelligent choice? Backing Up or Duplicating? I'm currently duplicating 2 OS 9 drives and an OS X drive to a single external Firewire drive.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Each are useful for different reasons. The duplicate feature is a bit quicker to retrieve files from, and anyone can access them, even if they don't have Retrospect.

It's not a true backup, though, in the sense that it retains only the most recent version of a file.

Both operations can be scripted, both use matching and optional verification, and both work just fine to a FireWire hard drive.

There's a full comparison article in our Knowledgebase that you may find helpful as well!

IrenaS,

Thank you very much for that information! That was very helpful! I hope that I might bug you for a bit more information though.

-Am I correct in assuming that if I Duplicate my internal OS 9 & X drives to my external Firewire drive, and then the internal ones become damaged enough that I need to erase them, I'll need to do the following:

--Boot from the OS 9 or OS X folder on the firewire drive .

--Erase both internal drives.

--Use the copy of Retrospect on the Firewire drive to duplicate the data on it back to the internal drives. This would be done by selecting the internal drives as the destination disks, and the Firewire drive as the source (opposite from the usual procedure).

-Likewise, if I choose to Back Up instead of Duplicate and I have to do a complete restore to my internal drive, I'll need to do the following:

--Format the internal drives.

--Install the OS, and Retrospect as well as the catalog file.

--Then use the new installation of Retrospect from the internal drive to restore my internal drive by using the Back Up that is on the Firewire drive.

Are both methods correct? If not, please correct me. Thank you so much for all of your time and help!

Jim

Yes, your summaries look good. One note:

> --Boot from the OS 9 or OS X folder on the firewire drive .

Test this first. Make sure that the "Ignore Privileges on this volume" option is not checked (you'll get a warning in Retrospect if it is, with instructions on how to change it). In earlier revs of Mac OS X, certain external FireWire hard drives were NOT bootable. I haven't heard this lately, but test it to be sure.

Best regards,

Irena

Irena,

Thanks again for the reply!

You say "Make sure that the "Ignore Privileges on this volume" option is not checked". Where do I do this? In the Mac OS X or in Retrospect? Also, how do I indicate that I want this to pertain to the FW drive.

You've been extremely helpful! Thanks again for your time,

Jim

There's an entry in our Knowledgebase, but I'm posting the relevant text here since the Knowledgebase has been *ahem* a little overwhelmed today...

Permissions cannot be backed up from a volume that has the Ignore Privileges option checked. This option is enabled by default on removable disks and some external hard drive under OS X to prevent conflicts on disks shared between more than one computer. To check this, Show Info (Command-I) and change the pull-down menu from General Information to Privileges. If "Ignore privileges on this volume" is checked, Retrospect will not be able to back up permissions on files saved to this volume.

Great! Thanks for the info (yet again).

Can I bug you with one final thing? Please?

With Retrospect 4.x, I had no problem mounting a Mac running OS 9.2.2 on my desktop (of my main Mac that has Retrospect installed), and doing a backup over my LAN (AppleTalk). Now, with version 5, I get an error message: Error: scanning, incomplete -37 (invalid name).

According to the busy knowledgebase, this appears to be my having a file on my Mac that has too many characters in the file name. However, I didn't get this error yesterday. Got any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim Reffner

Please read the Readme for the limitations on backing up shared volumes. Basically, you'll need to have Retrospect automount the volume to back it up.

"Backing Up To or From Mounted AppleShare Volumes: There are two ways to back up to or from AppleShare File Server (AFP) volumes under OS X:

* Configure Retrospect to mount the volume on the desktop.

For information on how to log in as root under OS X, please read Apple Computer's KnowledgeBase article #106290, Mac OS X: About the root User and How to Enable It.

To have Retrospect automatically mount an AFP volume on your desktop:

* Mount the AFP volume on your desktop using your login

* In Retrospect go to Configure>Volumes and highlight the mounted volume

* From the Volumes menu choose Configure (Command-J)

* Provide Retrospect with the password to connect to the AFP volume

* Unmount the AFP volume in Finder

* Include the AFP volume in your backup script.

When it needs to access the volume, Retrospect will mount the AFP volume on the desktop, access it, and then unmount it when done.

Note: When Retrospect has mounted the volume, you will not be able to see the volume's contents from the Finder.

If you back up a mounted AFP volume using either method listed above, privileges are not preserved and can not be restored. The only way to back up and restore privileges from a volume over a network is to back up the computer using Retrospect Client Software."

Wow! That was quite a bit of information! Many thanks!

Am I correct in assuming that even though the root method won't pertain to OS 9 that the automount method now does for Retrospect Desktop 5?

Therefore, if I really want to back up the mounted AFP (and do it right), then I need to buy a client for it?

If I do need a client, then can I buy just one client, and just to confirm; it will allow me to duplicate a Mac OS 9 (or OS X) over an AppleTalk LAN?

Thanks,

Jim

Ok, I switched over to TCP/IP and i still can't back up the mounted drive. In OS X It goes through the motions telling me that it duplicated 0 files successfully (worthless). In OS 9, I get the -37 (name) error as it scans the drive.

Will buying a client fix this? If so, I'll gladly do it just to get this fixed.

Any advise is welcome!

Thanks,

Jim

Getting a Client fixed it! Yes, I mounted it using Retrospect as described.

One final question (we both hope), When configuring the client via Retrospect Desktop, I have a pop-up menu under the "General" tab that gives me 3 choices: "Client Desktop"; "Startup Volume"; or "Selected Volumes".

What's the difference?

Thanks!

Jim

Here's an except from the User's Guide:

Volumes to Access

The setting of the pop-up menu affects how Retrospect resolves client containers during operations. Usually you do not need to change it from its Client Desktop default.

• Client Desktop resolves to all volumes local to the client computer, except for floppy disks, shared volumes (such as file servers), read-only volumes (such as CD-ROMs), and empty volumes.

• Startup Volume resolves to the volume from which the client computer booted.

• Selected Volumes resolves to all volumes selected in the Volumes tab of the client configuration window.

Archived