Help! Sony DAT SDT-4000 Firmware update SW needed!

I have a working (circa 1993) Sony SDT-4000 DAT drive (originally OEMed by Micronet) and a collection of unused 90M, 4mm tapes that could be put to use with Retrospect and Mac OS 9 on a modern TCP/IP network if I can locate Sony's last firmware updater software that was issued for this drive.

While the SDT-4000 doesn't have the capacity to handle today's largest, desktop hard drives, the device is still in good condition and still could be put to use backing up my laptop across a network. The firmware in my SDT-4000 is v2.09. Apparently, firmware updater v3.02 -- software I never even knew existed thanks to the vendors lack of communications with customers -- is needed. Neither MicroNet nor Sony have the software archived on their servers any longer (Apparently, I missed it by one year). I am assuming this tape device can be updated from a connected Mac.

Any help would be appreciated.

A note to drive manufacturers -- you are selling archiving devices and systems. Your products -- and companies -- are useless if you don't keep all software available -- at least for the projected lifespan of the media -- and hopefully much longer. It's not that difficult to figure out that this is essential to maintaining and accessing valuable, archived data, not to mention faith in your products.

Jeez, do customers have to do all the tech support thinking?

George Wedding

georgewedding@geopix.com

Archived