Retro 4.3, Yamaha FireWire 2100, OS9.2.2

Retrospect doesn't see my CD burner - Yamaha firewire 2100 (16x10x40). A sign of trouble is that when I insert a blank CD and the Format window pops-up, I select "Reserve Disk for Retrospect" and the drive goes in high-speed mode for a couple of minutes after which it times out (apparently) without ever mounting the disk to the desktop. I can't eject the disk either from the Finder or the button on the drive - at that point I can only Eject by launching Toast (v5.2) and selecting Eject from its menu (also, I can reboot my b/w G3 350 and eject the disk). Whether Retrospect is runing or not when I insert the disk in the burner doesn't make any difference. I also have all of Apple's updated extensions (Authoring Supprot 1.1.9, and tried with disabling "Apple CD/DVD", "SDAP..." - no success.

Yamaha says I should be using v4.1 of Toast and can't guarantee any version of Retrospect.

Thanks for your help.

Alas... I have all these extensions installed and the RD 2.5 update in the Retrospect folder. That doesn't seem to be the problem :'(

I just wonder if the "CD Burner" extension is not IT?! Again, when I get prompted to Format the (new) CD, and select "Reserve Disk for Retrospect", then hit "Prepare", it just spins for a couple of minutes and times out...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks-

The Prepare for Retrospect option essentially tells the OS to leave the disc alone - not to format the disc, which is why it doesn't mount on your desktop. When you say it "times out" - are you getting an actual error message?

Does Retrospect see the drive if you boot with _only_ OS base extensions plus the required extensions?

-Retrospect SDAP Support extension

-Toast 4.1 or later CD Reader

-Toast 4.1 or later FireWire Support

Kudos for not giving up...

Per your suggestion: Basic OS9.2 plus RE SDAP Support, Toas FW Support (5.2), and Toast Reader (5.2) still do not make RE see the drive. Although, as always, It sees a device at address "2:1" but "No Backup Device Found".

Since my last post I tried so many different combinations, and install/remove/re-installs that one of the consequences is that I no longer get "Reserve Disk For Retrospect" upon inserting a blank in the drive... can you tell me what Xtn or App makes that happen?

Also, FYI, ASP sees my firewire device as "fw609e, 10483" - "sbp609e, 104d8" - for what is worth.

As far as "time out", no, there is no error; the drive just stops spinning at high speed (it's just an audible clue). At that point, pressing the eject button doesn't eject the (blank) CDR inside. It takes Toast or a reboot to Eject the disk.

As a side note... I've been reflecting on my computing experiences from the past 4 to 8 years and it's ironic how this was such a common experience on Wintel machines running 98 and NT3/4... Macs were (far) supperior for being *true* plug-and-play... how ironic in 2002 :(

In reply to:

It sees a device at address "2:1"

Can you elaborate? If something is showing up, albeit incorrectly, it could indicate that the drive is still not communicating with the computer. How are you determining that a device is seen at location 2:1?

In reply to:

Since my last post I tried so many different combinations, and install/remove/re-installs that one of the consequences is that I no longer get "Reserve Disk For Retrospect" upon inserting a blank in the drive... can you tell me what Xtn or App makes that happen?

The Retrospect SDAP support extension. Try downloading the latest version from:

ftp://ftp.dantz.com/pub/updates/sdap.hqx

The Prepare for Retrospect option shouldn't start heavily accessing your drive. The setting should essentially tell the OS to leave the disc alone - to not format the disc. It won't mount on your desktop, but your eject key should be able to pop out the disc.

This is bizare... I thought I already replied to you on this... Anyways, something interesting: in Device Status (RE) the driver (for the burner) is listed as "sdapStubDrvr"... for whatever that may mean?! Like (I think I said) the address of 2:1 is in the Device Status window (0:1, 0:2.....1:1, 1:2,... 2:1, 2:2,....) The Yamaha is at 2:1 - again, not sure about this items relevance.

Otherwise, got the latest RE drivers as suggested... still no dice; but I did get back the "Reserve disk for Retrospect", which I select, then click Prepare, but RE never alows me to see the Disk (and selected as Destination...)

Also, I have a BUSlink FW 40gb 2.5in drive. It shows in RE's Devices window no problems- I guess that means the FW bus is OK.

In reply to:

Anyways, something interesting: in Device Status (RE) the driver (for the burner) is listed as "sdapStubDrvr"... for whatever that may mean?!

This means a driver is not being loaded for this device.

Try downloading the Retrospect Driver Update file again from: Updatescolor=blue>

Confirm that the driver file is loading in the Operations Log (Window > Log) -- the driver update should be listed in your log.

Archived