Hello

I've been having a problem. Perhaps someone out there can help.

I am running retrospect 4.3A with Mac OS 9.1. I am attempting to back up a Firewire drive (60 GB) attached via an orangemicro pci firewire card. The tape drive (dat) is a sony sdt-10000. the sony dat is attached via an Adaptec 2940 UW pci card.

When the backup starts all seems fine, however it gets about 700Mb into it and hangs on the same file every time.

Any ideas?

I have tried getting rid of this file in the past, and that has caused my catalog to become out of sync. Then; upon trying to rebuild the catalog, I get an error 203 (hardware failure)

Any theories would be welcome

Merritt Voigtlander

What happens if you move the file in question off the source drive _before_ the backup starts?

Error 203 (hardware failure) indicates that the backup device is having problems because of a bad medium, a SCSI problem or a mechanical error.

1. If the error occurs only when you use a particular medium that medium is probably damaged. Try using a new medium.

2. If the error occurs when you use any medium you may have a problem with your SCSI chain or device. Try turning off the backup device and computer for two minutes and then turning them back on again. Also see SCSI Troubleshooting in your Users Guide and the Dantz Knowledgebasecolor=blue>

Archived