Retrospect 5.0 and Other CD-RW Drives

I was disappointed to find that the QPS 24x10x40 with a CRD-BP1500P mechanism is still not supported.

My question is.... The info on OS X compatibility states that Apple CD-RW drives that are not supported will work with re-writable media only. Is this also true for non supported third party CD-RW drives?

Thanks,

In short, no.

Sorry if the note on the website is confusing. I assume you are referring to this note:

Apple ships computers with CD-RW drives from a variety of manufacturers. Unfortunately, not all of these drives meet DantzLab's stringent quality standards for writing to, spanning, or restoring from non-rewritable CD-R media. In these cases, Retrospect Backup 5.0 will only allow users to back up to rewritable CD-RW media, ensuring reliable restores. For additional information and a specific listing of supported Apple optical drives, please see our page on Apple Optical Storage Device Compatibility.

There are no Apple computers that are "not supported but will work anyway." They are supported, but with different requirements.

Through that lens, if a drive isn't supported by Retrospect, then it won't work

If we are able to qualify a drive but only with a certain type of medium, then we'll list that drive as "qualified, with requirements."

We are certainly hoping to support this drive! Sorry for the confusion.

Best regards,

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Archived