How to restore older versions of files?

ratti

Hi, I use Retrospect 8.2 for Macintosh and cannot find an option I often used on 6.x

Imaginge that:

- A coworker overwrites an important file on friday evening.

Our backup runs 3 times over the weekend

- On monday morning he asks me to restore the „previous“ version.

When I use the Retrospect Restore Wizard I can only find the latest (=broken) version of the file.

Reading the manual I understood that I can adress a specific backup and restore the file from that backup.

My problem is: I know the file was broken on friday. I don´t know when the correct version was backuped — where/how can I find older version? Possibly multiple older versions since possibly just a part of that file was changed 15 backups ago?

In Retrospect 6 I had a checkbox like „show all versions“, and I clearly saw: This file was changed 15 times this year, and, even better, restored ALL of them (Retrospect added a number as a suffix) and leave the problem to the coworker: „Here are 15 files, choose the best one, merge it with the actual version and put the result on the server“.

Reading the manual I have the impression this files were accessible, however, I don´t understand how to do it.

Thanks,

Jörg

The way you restore older version of a file is to find it in an older snapshot of the backup set and restore it from that backup.

Sorry - I don´t get it.

Problem 1:

I click „Restore“. I click on „Search for files“ and cannot select a specific date. Cancel.

Problem 2:

Lets imagine for one moment I don´t need to search the file. It has not moved over the time, my coworker knows exactly where to find it. So I click on „Restore selected files an folders“.

I see Backups from the last 2 days. This backup runs for many month. So I click on „More Backups“, wait a LONG time and can see backups back to August 2010. Good.

I know my file was destroyed January 27 2011.

But:

I don´t know when the previous undestroyed version was backuped.

Does that mean I choose January 26 and that backup contains everything that was done /before/ that day, i.e. my file from November 13th 2010?

Problem 3:

Does that mean when I want to retrieve the latest 10 versions of that file (since we don´t know which version was the first one with the problem) I have to start the restore process 10 times?

If you are using tape backups the restore will only show you the backups for the currently inserted tape(s).

I use removable HDs. Will this be a problem also?

Thanks for your patience,

Jörg

Problem 1:

I click „Restore“. I click on „Search for files“ and cannot select a specific date.

Yes you can.

The first window after selecting "Search for files in selected media sets" displays search criteria choices (using Apple's newest APIs for filtering, one of the only programs I know taking advantage of this Snow Leopard only feature). You can add criteria and sub-criteria (by holding the Option key to see the "+" icon change to an "..." icon).

Choices are:

Date accessed,

Date created

Date modified

Date backed up

I know my file was destroyed January 27 2011.

But:

I don´t know when the previous undestroyed version was backuped.

Does that mean I choose January 26 and that backup contains everything that was done /before/ that day, i.e. my file from November 13th 2010?

If you select January 26 you can restore from the Previous Backup (what used to be called "Snapshot") of how the machine looked that day. If you file was on-disk with a modification date of something earlier (ie November 13th ?) then yes, that's the file you'll get.

Does that mean when I want to retrieve the latest 10 versions of that file (since we don´t know which version was the first one with the problem) I have to start the restore process 10 times?

If you want to search through 10 Past Backups, then yes. But that's not the point of Past Backups, which is why you would want to Search based on name and/or date, location, size, etc.

Now, in other places in the interface, the file selection tools are hopelessly broken. So it's possible that it's broken here, too; you'll need to try it.

Thanks a lot to everybody. It seems that most of my desires can be realized.

- A lot of options have, compared to Retrospect 6, moved to a place where I didn´t expect them (Choose the right file at the end of search, not by a filter at the beginning)

or

- have been removed at all (Restore all older versions with a single workstep, which I will miss a lot!)

I really wish they had „just“ debugged Retrospect 6 instead. So many bugs, so much broken interface design, and soooo sloooow…

However. Thanks a lot to everyone.

Bye,

Jörg

Edited by Guest