new Mac/tape busy

Hello,

I just upgraded my Mac form a dual500G4 to dual1Ghz/G4 and I can't restore or back up files any longer. I used the same ATTO SCSI card(ProUL3) and the same Sony tape drive (SDT-9000 DDS-DC)

in the dual 500. But this set up is not working properly in the dual 1.

Retrospect Desktop 4.3 recognizes the tape drive okay and asks for the specified tape and when I load the correct tape I briefly get the loading window and the program jumps back to tape busy window.

The tape drive makes noise like it is searching for the tape or a location on the tape, but never leaves the busy status .

I have done the usual zap P-RAM,no extentions,rebuild desktop, ran Norton,Disk Warrior, but nothing seems to work.

If anyone here can help me out with this problem I would sure appreciate it, I need this new Mac to start earning its keep!

Hayes

Okay,

I loaded this entire set-up back in my dual 500 ,just to make sure nothing was damaged in the dual1 installation . Everything backs up and restores just fine there . I stripped the extensions down to almost nothing, still no go. I disconnected the other internal Seagate Cheetah from the internal bus ,still no go. The tape drive does not spit the tape out after Retrospect shut down or computer power down. Please can somebody help me I have recording sessions on hold because I can't restore files.

Many thanks in advance!

Hayes

I have nearly the same problem than you. I have a new dual 1ghz, SCSI ATTO UL3D with retrospect 4.3. but I use a SONY AIT3

When i try to backup on the AIT the tape is recognized but when retrospect try to write the first file I got an error 205.

So I change my ATTO UL3D with an ATTO DC card, and it works perfectly on the same computer.

I don't know why it doesn't work with the ATTO UL3D but it can also be your problem.

If someone experience this problem I will appreciate to know how you figure out.

thanks,

JLD

Archived