Retro 5.0 236 quits with Type 2 error

I recently updated to release 236, running on OS 9.2.2. The good news is that this release may finally have solved the communication problems we've been having with our OS X clients.

There has been one peculiarity, however. When quitting Retrospect, if I have the program check media (DAT tape) at quit, the entire quit process seems to proceed normally, except that I then get a Finder message saying that Retrospect unexpectedly quit with a Type 2 error. This is true even if, after checking media, I click "Don't Quit," go back to the Directory, and then finally quit without rechecking media. If I quit without checking the tape, no error message is generated.

When the Type 2 error message is generated, it's non-fatal and there seem to be no residual problems. Retrospect will autolaunch and automatically shut down the computer as normal, even if the computer is not restarted after the error.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Type 1, 2, and 3 errors are Mac OS memory-addressing errors. These are usually caused by incompatible software or software conflicts.

Retrospect 5.0 is a Carbon application which allows it to run on OS 9 as well as OS X. Any Carbon application running on OS 9 requires the CarbonLib extension, in addition to base extensions, to launch and run. With previous versions of Retrospect, no extensions were needed to actually launch the program.

You may have programs on your machine that conflict with CarbonLib or Carbon based applications in general. It is important to update all your programs to ensure best case compatibility.

We currently do not have a list of known extension conflicts. Every system is different, and extensions that have a conflict on one system do not always have a conflict on another system.

Try booting with "OS 9.x Base Extensions through your Extension Manager. Launch and quit Retrospect - does the problem go away? If so, extensions troubleshooting is in order. Apple has a great article on extensions troubleshooting at:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30929

I should have noted that I was previously running v 5.0 release 205 without experiencing the problem on quit.

I did uncover a third-party software conflict that consistently triggered my problem with release 236. When I updated, I thought the problem had gone away. Unfortunately, it has only gone from consistent to sporadic. I am currently suspicious that it may be related to simultaneously running several Microsoft applications that use the same shared libraries. (These applications occasionally interact with one another such that, for example, I cannot delete a mail message in Outlook Exchange until I quit Word.)

Archived