R5.0mac, media failures, execution errors etc.

When my SCSI CDRW drive failed on my Backup server that was running retrospect 4.2 flawlessly with the scsi cdrw AND a HP surestore DLT 7000 for archiving and automated backup purposes

(all this on a g4 450 with os 9.0.4), I got on the web AND called retrospect to find out which firewire drive would best support their 4.2 product, or would it. They let me know that I needed to upgrade my old retro to 5.0, and gave me a list of mac compatible firewire CDRW drives.

I bought the suggested drive (Yamaha 3200FXZ) with strangely enough, came packaged with a limited version of Retro, and had the mac emblem on the side of the box. I patted myself on the back for being so proactive about upgrading the failing drive and keeping the main issue in check...will my archiving system function properly.

Well, since getting the suggested drive, which is still on the supported list here on the site, I have had the worst luck with execution errors. Failure to read media. media failure. error 205 (bad media, damaged headers, etc)

I paid for my "one day of tech support/pay per issue" whatever, and no one had any better suggestions than the obvious.... pare down the extensions, etc. All of which I had already tried, but appeased them to get to the end of the issue with no question marks. I went so far as to try a new media brand/type, which was working, I thought, for a while, but now when I go to read those archives that were created [succesfully?] with the new media, I'm getting the same old errors. I can't archive 1GB without 5-20 errors, and all of them tell me things that can't be possible. Bad media. Bad drive. Whatever. All I know is that I didn't get anywhere with Retro trying to pinpoint the issue.

Really getting to the end of my rope, drives are getting full, and archives are being neglected. Can ANYONE help with a suggestion as to what I can do. This is a catalog of an entire year of work that is now starting to fail and I'm stressing. This used to work without issue, now I've spent a week of sundays trying to get this thing to work.

sidenote: I to run ASIP 6.3.3, and have shut it all down just so my retrospect will start up without locking up. Apple or no Apple, 4.2 didn't have this problem with ASIP, isn't there something that retro can do to fix this? My shop won't go "X" until Quark quits dragging it's feet. Or until we learn to love InDesign, whichever comes first. Again, this is just a sidenote, and has been removed from the equation of my original concern....EXECUTION ERRORS ON GOOD MEDIA, WRITTEN BY A NEW YAMAHA DRIVE.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, I just tried a few more things (again) and I'm getting a lot of "media failure" when inserting old catalog members that worked fine with the old drive.

AUUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!

Use of software compression and/or encryption may cause this drive to fail in Retrospect. Dantz is working with Yamaha to correct these problems in a future release. Make sure software data compression is turned off and that the backup set was not created with encryption options selected.

All 200 series errors are generated by the drive itself, and can actually be caused by something other than what the printed error text indicates.

With a 200- series error, the first thing you want to try is a new disc. If the new disc works, then the disc you are seeing the error with is bad. If you see the error on all discs, you can look into the following possibilities:

Update the Firewire/USB drivers for your operating system or card.

Try connecting the device with another cable.

Try connecting it to another port on the computer if available.

The computer may be having a problem. Install Retrospect on another computer and try the CD drive there as the lone device.

The drive may be defective. If you have implemented all of the preceding steps and get failures on multiple discs after changing cables, computers, and updating drivers then the drive, being the only factor that has not changed, is the culprit--send it back to your vendor for repairs. Although the drive is new, that doesn't exclude it as a possible cause.

Archived