Hardware/Software compression with VXA-1 tape

I'm using Retrospect 4.3 with a VXA-1 tape drive on a MAC 9600 running OS 9.1.

When I Configure>Create New backup set in Retrospect and leave on hardware compression (default) the software compression is still available under Backup>Options and not grayed out as it says it will be in the dialog box. Is that ok or does this indicate a probelm?

Checking the Backup Set Configure>Summary in Retrospect does report that Hardware Compression is enabled. (This is all without encryption.)

• 3 months later...

That's funny, I thought it did grey out when hardware compression was active. We definately used to get the compressed capacity on our SDX-35C (35/70gig) tapes with our CY-8000 AIT drive. One day I noticed that a fresh 60gig drive backup was suddenly asking for a tape halfway through and I checked the settings. I thought it had been greyed-out before and was now showing available. Hardware compression used to work great and I figured the software compression option now not being greyed-out was a sign that hardware compression had somehow been deactivated? OK....maybe I was hallucinating.... ;>

But I'm still only getting uncompressed capacity from tapes now and I'm stumped. I'm not getting media or write errors, but the only thing Cybernetics tech support could think of was cleaning the tape drive. I'll give that a try. Is there anything else I should be looking for? I mean, I know all the stuff about why tapes might not operate to written capacity, but is there any other setting that needs to be on in Retrospect to let the CY-8000 do it's hardware-compression thing?

Thanks.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived