Emulate "full on Friday" strategy?

My company is a VAR evaluating Retrospect (see post in "Desktop Workgroup and Server"). We frequently recommend that clients use a "full on Friday" strategy, to allow easy tape management (and use few tapes) yet provide at least one month of coverage. How can we best duplicate this with Dantz's quite-different software?

For anyone not familiar with this strategy, it involves four daily tapes (Monday - Thursday) that do a differential backup, and five Friday tapes (you can have five Fridays in some months) that do full backups. For months with four Fridays the fifth tape is skipped, providing a longer backup coverage.

- Steve Yates

- It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.

/ Taglines by Taglinator 2.5 - www.srtware.com /

Your way would require many backup sets and would limit offsite disaster storage benefits, since the previous days tape would need to be on hand in case of a restore. Since your goal is a full month of retention, I'd go with 5 backup sets for 5 weeks of coverage. You'd do a "recycle" on Fridays and then a "normal" each of the other days. In the script scheduler, you set the interval to 5 for each set, so it is only asked for each 5 weeks. The same tape could stay in the drive until Friday unless others are needed due to capacity limits. You could also set the option to "skip to the next member in the tape set" and put a new tape in on Monday. That would append all the normal backup data on that tape. You'd then have a Full complete tape each Friday along with it's companion tape of all changed data from Monday through Thursday. This would require as little as 5 tapes depending on capacity unless you wanted to divide the Normal and Recyle data.

If having the previous day's tape off site is important, why do you suggest using the same tape(s) the entire week?

Dividing the normal and recycle data into two tapes sounds more useful, otherwise if the full backup is near to capacity the user will have to switch tapes and continue backing up during the day...and boy do they dislike seeing those errors about open files. :) So that would be 10 tapes.

- Steve Yates

- What do you mean you formatted the cat?

Your comment was accurate. I meant week. Doing it the Retrospect way 8 tapes can be rotated offsite in case of a site disaster. The way you wanted. The Monday through Thursday tapes would have to be close by for backups. We send our tape copies offsite to a secure data storage vault site each week. I know open and changed files get me going too. ;)

Glad I could help.

• 2 weeks later...

I noted the sample script in the online tutorials section. How would this be modified to occasionally do a Recycle backup, to allow for more coverage?

Put another way, it looks like this script will do a Normal backup on each day. Eventually the tape fills up and must be recycled (manually?). At that point is it possible to rotate in a different Friday tape set so that one or more can be saved for longer periods?

- Steve Yates

- Aibohphobia (n.): The fear of palindromes.

You could add in a recycle anytime you wanted. If you have a recycle scheduled and a normal at the same time, the recycle will take precedence and run. It will not run the normal then as it doesn't have to. So you could add in a recycle on a specific day or week to what ever set you would like.