Recovery CD questions

Hello. I am unclear on some points of the Disaster Recovery CD which I may make with the Wizard. What is the advantage of such a CD over simply restoring from the Immediate directory? I assume the Wizard must copy necessary startup files and, presumably, CD drivers from my hard drive, but could you tell me what it copies from the backup media? The Users Guide says I can continue to backup to the same set I started with in the Wizard or I can make new backup sets. Does this mean I can continue to use the original recovery CD, without changing it, even though I go on to a new backup set and snapshot? After I make the Recovery CD, what happens when I boot my computer from that? I would assume I could just test the CD to be sure it works (I haven't yet set up the BIOS to boot from a CD) without the software automatically starting a restore. Is this correct? hank you for any clarification. Sorry to cram so many questions in this space. Dave

Dave, I want to add my name to the same question as you as far as continual use of the BOOTABLE CD is concerned. It is not clear whether to create a new one with each backup. I "don't think" it is necessary but it would be reassuring to get a TECH SUPPORT answer.

Thanks Mr. Mayoff. You have come through again! I haven't yet rec'd e-mail notification of your post. Now you have helped both Harrry Cello and me in one swoop. "But" (isn't there always one of those?) I *believe* I also asked this question: Is there any likelihood the boot CD would automatically start a restore if I were just testing it? Thanks. Dave

RE: Is there any likelihood the boot CD would automatically start a restore if I were just testing it?

Answer: Booting from the DR CD for "testing" could cause you trouble. Some system files on the hard disk could be replaced during the boot process, requiring you to do a "real" restore at a time when you really didn't want to.

• 3 weeks later...

Mr. Mayoff,

I am only a home user but a retired computer tech. Therefore I know the necessity of backing up any system. I backup on CDRWs once a month. This backup is solely for disaster recovery meaning a complete reload using a bootable CD. Knowing that, is there any reason to keep a BACKUP SET A, B, C etc in my computer? I believe I don't need it because the internal disks will be either formatted or just overwritten.

Thanks in advance.

Harry Cello

Mr. Mahoff. Thank you. That info is good to know and scary. I'm glad I asked. Incidentally, something went wrong with the system. You wrote your reply 3-24 and I just happened to see it today when I was notified of Harry's message. I had given up on you THIS time . Dave

• 1 month later...

Hi,

You generally do NOT need to make a new disaster recovery cd unless you have made

hardware changes to your system.

IF you make a hardware change you definately should make a new disaster recovery cd.

The disaster recovery cd contains all the drivers etc for all the hardware on your system.

Not updating your disaster recovery cd AFTER installing new hardware could leave you with hardware that won't work during the restore process. That may or may not cause a problem but why take a chance to save less than a $1.

Also be sure to update your backup too because the registry and driver files need to be updated in the backup set also (but that should go without saying).

Regarding booting from cd for "testing". . .

My own experience is as follows.

1. You are perfectly safe to boot off this cd for testing at least up to a point.

That point is : up to the screen where you are asked to select a partition to restore to.

Whether or not you can go beyond that is a question I am not sure of because I saw

different things over the weekend depending on whether or not you had a valid windows dir

or not and possibly other circumstances too.

Archived