error -1101 (file/directory not found)

arzaruba

Hello,

We have a user on a Mac. He was running OS X 10.5, and the backups ran using client 6.3.028 with zero issues.

He then upgraded to OS X 10.6, and ever since, it has ceased backing up, citing the above error in the logs. We've done a number of uninstall/re-installs of the client (just dragging the application to the trash, running the uninstall script found in another post on this forum, manually deleting the files, etc), upped the client to 6.3.029, repaired the disk and permissions while booting from the OS install DVD - nothing seems to work. We still receive the above error on every backup attempt.

We used to receive this error on another mac, but that one was running OS X 10.2 and we simply assumed it was because the OS was so old. However this time the OS is the latest with all the updates.

Basically, we're somewhat at a loss as to what the issue may be. Any advice would be very welcomed.

Thanks,

-Andy

What were you backing up on this client? Was it the entire client with all attached volumes, selected volumes, or favorite folders?

If the latter, have you tried forgetting the old favorite folder and creating a new one? It's possible that the path to a favorite folder was changed during the upgrade process, either in reality or in Retrospect's mind.

While this certainly would have occurred if, for example, the disk was reformatted before the upgrade, we have also discovered that there are other circumstances in which Retrospect can get confused about the location of favorite folders.

Thanks for the response - we're backing up the entire hard drive.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but wouldn't removing the retrospect client program and then adding it back cause it to, start over in effect? As in, disregard what it was doing before and begin doing what I designated it to do now?

Edited by Guest

When I went to the server after the uninstall/re-install on the client, it prompted me that the old client wasn't there, and I did have to re-add it (by IP address, enter the password). At that point I double-checked and instructed it to back up the selected volume only of "Macintosh HD."

When you say "firewall issue," do you mean a firewall on the Mac itself? I hadn't checked that. I'm not sure whether the 10.6 OS defaults it to on or off.

There is also a problem on 10.6.x where the server won't see the client even though the client status is ready. The best way I have found to resolve is to open Retrospect on the client and while holding down the command key click Off on the client and wait for status to read "turned off" and then click On and the status will return to ready. After doing this the server will pick up the client correctly and you won't have to re-add or re-install the client. I have found this problem to show up mostly on laptops but will occasionally appear on desktops.

When I went to the server after the uninstall/re-install on the client, it prompted me that the old client wasn't there, and I did have to re-add it. At that point I double-checked and instructed it to back up the selected volume only of "Macintosh HD."

Let's start at the Sources window (and note the error does not imply a communications issue):

> it prompted me that the old client wasn't there

- Did you Remove the old instance of the Client from the Sources list, either before or after you added the new instance of the (same) machine?

> I double-checked and instructed it to back up the selected volume only of "Macintosh HD"

Staying in Sources:

- Can you click on the disclosure triangle next to the client computer's name and observe "Macintosh HD" there?

- Can you click the "Add Favorite" button for the volume? Do you get the drop-down sheet?

- Assuming you are getting the error on a script, have you confirmed in the Sources tab of the Scripts window that the correct volume is selected?

Edited by Guest
added question on Script Source

And -- is the client *logged in* when you try to back it up?

There's a known issue with Mac OSX 10.6 and the Retrospect client whereby you won't be able to backup the client if it's *at the login screen* after you log in/log out *twice* after restarting.

A reboot of the computer (to the login screen is fine) -- or logging in to the client is a temporary fix.

But the problem will reoccur if you log in/log out twice and leave it at the login screen again...

There still hasn't been any movement on this bug for ages, unfortunately.

There's a known issue with Mac OSX 10.6 and the Retrospect client whereby you won't be able to backup the client if it's *at the login screen* after you log in/log out *twice* after restarting.

A reboot of the computer (to the login screen is fine) -- or logging in to the client is a temporary fix.

But the problem will reoccur if you log in/log out twice and leave it at the login screen again...

There still hasn't been any movement on this bug for ages, unfortunately.

I think this may be the key. We're testing it tonight. The user typically logs in/out every night (so eventually, he's hitting the "twice" part at some time or another). He opted to go with the "restart" method. He's just rebooted and leaving for the night. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Engineering has never publicly stated how many people work on the product.

Though it appears from watching things that they alternate working on the Mac and Windows products accordingly and don't do simultaneous work on the platforms.

(This is just a guess...) With the recent Windows product update, I'd hope this means they'll be turning their attention back to the Mac product soon.