Media Set Busy-Retrospect unusable

rhegyi

Sorry I accidentally posted this in the PRE-8 Retrospect forum. Can anyone tell me why my media sets always come up busy? Retrospect 8.2 at this point is unusable. I backup to a Drobo NAS, Retrospect works one time then marks the backup media as busy. I open Retrospect and 50% of the time it does not fill in any info on the Console. I have to stop the Engine ( if it lets me ) and restart the whole process. I've used Retrospect for over ten years an various client sites but I'm having a hard time to recommend this product to another customer. I have this same behavior occurring at two separate locations. Mac Server 10.6/ Retrospect 8.2 Server and client backups. I've uninstalled and re-installed several times, no difference.

Mac Server 10.6/ Retrospect 8.2 Server and client backups

That's pretty scant information; way too little for anyone to offer suggestions.

I backup to a Drobo NAS

Actually Retrospect backup to a Media Set, just as in the ten years previously it backed up to a Backup Set (and before that to a Storage Set). What Type of Media Set you use is important.

How about providing a detailed description of what you do and what you see when you do it (where does it "mark the backup media as busy"?), including specific information on your hardware setup (for example, are you running the Retrospect Engine and the Retrospect Console on the same machine?). Try and use the actual words you find in the program; makes it less likely for prospective helpers to be misinformed or confused (it certainly does for me!).

Dave

Dave and crew,

thanks for your response. I'm sorry that I didn't include sufficient information.

I have 7 installations of Retrospect 8.2 running. The three backing up to tape have no problems. The four installs that are causing issues are running Retrospect 8.2 are backing up to disk backups.

They all run on Intel based Apple Xserves running Mac OSX server 10.6, two backup to Netgear Network attached storage units, mounted on the desktop of each server and the other backup to DROBO network attached storage units connected via iScsi connections.

I run the console and the engines on the same machines via apple remote desktop.

I create media sets on the Nas devices. I have two types of scripts, one script backs up the server drives and another script backs up the clients at each location.

The Server scripts never have an issue but the client backups writing to the same device get an error DEVICE BUSY ( the pencil with the line thru) in the Media list and asks for media action when backing up, but no matter what you select it never runs.

There are no other scripts running when this happens. I have to delete the media set and start all over again.

On one of the Intel 10.6 Xserves, the application runs slow as a DOG and if I go to activity monitor, the app is constantly (not responding) I've un installed the application and associated files and the same result. The only things running on the box are FileMaker server and apple file sharing, that's it.

please let me know if you need other information.

They all run on Intel based Apple Xserves running Mac OSX server 10.6, two backup to Netgear Network attached storage units, mounted on the desktop of each server...

You maintain your XServes with a user logged in all the time? Sounds like a pretty gaping security hole.

Anyway, Retrospect can't access a network volume that's mounted on the Desktop by a user; Retrospect must be configured to mount the volume itself, which a user will not see in the Finder. Mounting a disk in addition to having it in Retrospect's Sources list has proven to be the most widely experienced cause of unexpected behavior.

I create media sets on the Nas devices

A Media Set is the set of the combined set of a Catalog and the media Member(s); so you create a Media Set, store the Catalog where it's convenient, then add a Member of that Media Set on the NAS volume.

I maintain saying it correctly all the time helps to keep the paradigms clear.

I have two types of scripts, one script backs up the server drives and another script backs up the clients at each location.

The Server scripts never have an issue

OK, so we know with a certain Script configuration Retrospect behaves as expected. On four completely independent computers (for which I assume you have purchased Retrospect licenses).

the client backups writing to the same device get an error DEVICE BUSY ( the pencil with the line thru) in the Media list and asks for media action when backing up, but no matter what you select it never runs.

Then the question becomes what (exactly) is different between the two Scripts? Hard to fathom that a difference only in a Source would make the program complain about the destination (small "d" because the took the term "Destination" out of (most places of) the GUI).

If I had to guess, I'd think the Device Busy error means the device is busy, although doing what I could not say. But you have seven instances of the Retrospect Engine; are they all on the same subnet? Are they all writing data to the same shares?

Start by making sure the volume on which the Disk Media Set Member is stored is _not_ mounted on the Desktop of a user on the Engine host machine. I'd also compare the working Script with the failing Script and note all the places they differ. Oh, and a good overview schematic of the network and how Retrospect Engines (and clients) are interconnected might help figure out what's wrong.

Dave

Dave

Are all the NAS devices *identical*?

There was somebody with a thread that posted that checking the smb.conf settings on one of their NAS' that wasn't working properly and comparing it to a different SMB share from a different system (which *did* work) showed that something needed to be changed on the NAS to make it work right.

(I don't have a NAS, so I never bookmarked that thread -- but I'd suggest starting there...)