Can't access volume XXX on serverYYY error -530 ( backup client not found)

Hi Retrospect 8 devotees, I am having some problems with errors such as:

Can't access volume XXX on serverYYY error -530 ( backup client not found)

(XXX being a system or data volume, YYY being the server name being backed up).

Running Retrospect 8.2.0 (399) on a Intel Mac Pro, running Mac OS X 10.6.4. With Retrospect clients version 6.3.029

The problem happens every few days... Usually during the night-time backups. So, all the backups fail. It affects all network-based backups. Any local backups (e.g. Firewire backup source) work fine. But any source not located locally do not backup.

A restart of the Retrospect box sometimes fixes the problem. But not generally. (Affectively, that's stopping and starting the engine).

The only real work-around I've found is to:

• Stop the Retrospect engine
  • Wait a few minutes
  • Re-start the Retrospect engine
  • "Browse" a source, and make sure I can connect to that remote hard drive
  • Then run a test backup
  • It should be business as usual after that for a day or so, until it happens again.

Anybody else having the same problems? Or have a better work-around?

I was thinking about perhaps a script to kill of the Retrospect Engine, and then re-start it again... Any ideas on how to implement this?

Cheers,

D.

Edited by Guest

Are you sure it's not the bug with 10.6.x clients whereby if the clients *log out twice* after rebooting -- and stay at the login screen -- then the volumes won't be available to the engine?

Then when the user logs back in, the volumes are visible (until they log out again?)

The fact you say it happens during the "night time" backups, makes me think it might be this bug in action (or "inaction"...) A reboot of the *engine* makes no difference here, but maybe your clients have logged in by that point (or rebooted?)

Also did you make sure you are using the correct level of Retrospect 8? If you are backing up multiple server OSes you need to use the multi-server version and not the single server version.

Also have you made sure that the clients do not go to sleep at night because this can cause problems since Retrospect does not trigger the Wake on LAN?