Retrospect 6.0 quits on launch

I have been using Retrospect since version 5.0. I now use version 8, so I tried to install Retrospect 6 on my wife's G5 running 10.5.8. Install went OK but the applications quits on launch. Installed 5.0 and it works.

What am I doing wrong with 6.0? I used to use it on my G5 and it worked perfectly.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Guest

What am I doing wrong with 6.0? I used to use it on my G5 and it worked perfectly.

A few suggestions.

(1) Retrospect 6.0 was never qualified for Mac OS 10.5.8 Leopard. Update to Retrospect 6.1.230 (it's a free update). Link is here:

Retrospect 6.1.230 updates

Install the Retrospect Driver Update (RDU) as well.

(2) You could have a corrupt set of preferences. With Retrospect quit, move the Retrospect config file to the Desktop (so Retrospect can't find it), launch Retrospect, see if it crashes. That file is:

/Library/Preferences/Retrospect/Retro.Config (6.0)

If that fixes it, then recreate scripts, enter license code, etc., and move on. Or, restore that file from a backup.

(3) It's possible that you are being hit by the ACL bug. If you can get Retrospect to launch (see item (2), above), then, before doing anything, disable ACL backup:

Configure > Preferences > OS X,

check the box to "Don't back up ACLs".

Yes, the text says this only applies to Intel Macs, but the text is wrong. Discussion is beyond the scope of this reply.

(4) Are you sure that your wife's machine is a G5? Perhaps it's an Intel Mac and you haven't installed the Rosetta compatibility stuff (not installed by default on 10.5.x) to allow emulation of PPC code.

Russ

• 5 weeks later...
I am having the exact same problem as Limpid Lizard, except that Retrospect runs after I have restarted my G5 (OS 10.6.8).
that's your problem.

Retrospect 6.x is not qualified to run under Snow Leopard.

Indeed. And a G5 Mac cannot and never will run Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6.x). See the Snow Leopard Technical Specifications:

General requirements

* Mac computer with an Intel processor

Russ

You say you followed all of Russ Walker's suggestions above, to no avail. When you tried suggestion #2, could you please confirm that Retrospect asked you to enter your license code?

Yes, it did

Also please tell us more about your system hardware, installed Retrospect version, and installed RDU.

I am running Retrospect 6.1.230 with RDU 6.1.16.100 on a Dual 2 Ghz PowerPC G5 with 3.5 GB RAM under OS 10.5.8

This is an unsupported configuration and might explain why you can not launch 6.1

Thanks for this information. Exactly what part of the configuration is not supported, and what do I do about it? Do I have to get v8 of Retrospect?

Have you also checked permissions because since 10.4 they have become stricter and if not set correct can lead to programs crashing or not loading at all?

I take it that you mean have I repaired permissions using Disk Utility? Yes, I have, and this did not solve the crashing problem.

Thanks for your help

Richard,

Respectfully, I disagree with Daniels, and I believe that Retrospect 6.1.230 IS qualified to run on your configuration:

I am running Retrospect 6.1.230 with RDU 6.1.16.100 on a Dual 2 Ghz PowerPC G5 with 3.5 GB RAM under OS 10.5.8

While your amount of RAM is a bit low for a dual-processor PPC G5, it shouldn't crash on launch.

Are you sure you exactly followed the instructions I gave upthread? If so, then it would be instructive to attach another disk drive, install Mac OS 10.5.8 on that (as a clean install, with Software Updates) with a clean install of Retrospect 6.1.230 and RDU, boot from that, and see what happens there.

Russ

I was not talking about repairing permissions through Disk Utility but rather making sure there is proper access to folders Retrospect need access to create appropriate files such as Application Support.

Also according the user's manual for 6.0 Retrospect 6.0 is only supported up to 10.4.11 (Panther) on both client and server sides. This information is listed on page 10 of the user's manual. There is also one mention of 10.5 in the readme for 6.1 and nowhere did I find any place where it says 6.1 is supported on 10.5.8

Also according the user's manual for 6.0 Retrospect 6.0 is only supported up to 10.4.11 (Panther) on both client and server sides. This information is listed on page 10 of the user's manual.

If you took the time to read the (hijack) poster's configuration, he is running Retrospect 6.1.230, not Retrospect 6.0. Discussion of Retrospect 6.0 is irrelevant to this poster's issues.

There is also one mention of 10.5 in the readme for 6.1 and nowhere did I find any place where it says 6.1 is supported on 10.5.8

Retrospect 6.1.230 is qualified for MacOS 10.5.8. It is not, however, qualified for any version of 10.6.x.

Russ

Hi Russ

If so, then it would be instructive to attach another disk drive, install Mac OS 10.5.8 on that (as a clean install, with Software Updates) with a clean install of Retrospect 6.1.230 and RDU, boot from that, and see what happens there.

Well, I guess I could do this, but the machine on which I am running retrospect has just had a clean install (ie. erase and install.) It was a painful process, and I lost two or three days work doing it. I've got a very slow internet connection, and some updates took four hours to download. Rather than go through that again, I would prefer to buy the upgrade to Retrospect 8. Do you think that would make the problem go away?

Edited by Guest

Retrospect 8 is still quite fragile. After almost two years of "releases", it's now a usable beta but still isn't as stable as Retrospect 6.1 for a configuration such as yours. It's a completely new code base, and is still undergoing growing pains.

Retrospect 8 will be VERY SLOW on a PPC. VERY SLOW. And there are still some issues that are specific to the PPC platform.

Your crashing problem should be able to be solved, and the steps I gave upthread should be sufficient to solve the crashing.

Are you using the Applescript "Retrospect Event Handler"? While it should work, that might be an issue.

What about trying without the RDU? Just attempting to isolate the problem.

I've got a very slow internet connection, and some updates took four hours to download.

Hmmm... I wonder if you have some corrupt updates in your system. I've never heard of this problem of only launching once after a restart and then crashing on successive launches.

Russ

Edited by Guest
possiblity of corrupt install

If you upgrade to 8.2 the problem should go away since 6.1 and 8.2 are two seperate entities. Before purchasing the upgrade you can try a 30 day trial version. Since 6.1 and 8.2 are two seperate products you will have to recreate your scripts, rules, clients, and possibly your backup sets in 8.2

Edited by Guest

I removed REH from [startup Disc]/Library/Preferences/Retrospect/

Retrospect then opened fine repeatedly.

Now just need to figure out whether I actually use REH for anything...

Ok, then you've got two possibilities.

(1) Your AppleScript installation is bad; or

(2) Your compiled REH is bad.

I've seen instances (search these forums) where a compiled REH ported cross-platform (PPC to Intel) caused issues and crashing (seems to be some sort of byte order issue), but I'm not sure I have seen what you are seeing.

Try this (with Retrospect quit):

It may be an issue with which REH you are using, especially because some things changed from Tiger to Leopard. The only REH worth using (in my opinion) is the Python version, because Python is fairly stable between OS releases. Put the "macmail.py" file, unedited, in the

/Library/Preferences/Retrospect

folder, copy the "Retrospect Event Handler" for Python into that same folder, edit as needed using Apple Script Editor.

Here are the steps for saving the REH (I have written them down because I always forget them), and it's a magic dance:

save as application, stay open, never show startup screen. Then delete the ".app" extension on the saved file because Retrospect expects the script to be named EXACTLY as "Retrospect Event Handler". Sigh.

If you don't care about email notifications, and if you don't have a heavily-hacked REH as we do for Retrospect 6.x (to start / stop server services, etc., for checkpointing before backup), then you don't need REH.

It may be that there is some issue with the REH AppleScript interface on Leopard. If so, save (compile) the REH on a Tiger machine (or boot your machine into Tiger, compile, etc.), then copy it over to your Leopard machine.

Hope this helps.

Russ

Hi Russ -- and other contributors.

Very many thanks for your help in nailing this problem. I have fixed it!

Here's what was going on...

I use an external hard disc, "Daily Backup" to back up changed files each morning. After running retrospect, a script in REH ejects the disc (so that it's not read repeatedly, slowing open file dialogs.

But in REH I also use the script "on RetrospectStart."

This checks the list of mounted discs to confirm that Daily Backup is mounted. If it is't, the script uses a shell script command to mount it. The shell script refers to the disc not by name, but by number -- disc1s6.

Now, when I installed Mac OS 10.5.8, I reconnected the data and power cables of an internal disc I hadn't used for some time (so that I could create a bootable duplicate of my 10.4.11 disc.)

This action changed the address of the external disc Daily Backup from disc1s6 to disc2s6.

Now, I shut down my Mac each night, so when I start Retrospect in the morning, Daily Backup is always there. However, if I try to run Retrospect for a second time, Daily Backup is not mounted (because REH ejected it on quit). REH runs, and attempts to mount disc1s6. This was throwing an error which crashed retrospect.

Anyway, I'm very grateful for your help.

Bye, Richard