Moving backup sets do another disk.

Hi!

We implanted Retrospect multi-server 7.6.123 a few time ago, and the backup server has a little disk space.

Now I get more disk, with redundance and I need to migrate the data from the old disk to the new disk, and the old disk will stay only to the catalog files.

Well, how can i move the backup sets? (each cliente have a backup set, and now we have about 15 clients).

With a test backup set i try move the directory from explorer and repair the catalog, but this don´t work. I also try the option transfer backup set, but this option don´t transfer all data in the backup set do the new set(a backup set with 100gb, it copy just 50gb for exemple), and the next backup after that(remaking the script to the new set destination), retrospect make full(not incremental).

So...

How is the right way do move the sets to the new disk, rebuil the catalog, and continue making the incremental backup?

Tks a lot!

Assuming you are talking about a "Disk Backup set", this is what you do:

Exit Retrospect.

Move (not copy) the folder with the *.rdb files to its new location.

Launch Retrospect

Configure-->Backup Sets.

Change the location in the "Members" properties by clicking on the "Browse" button. See attached picture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 years later...
On 7/29/2010 at 8:47 AM, Lennart_T said:

Assuming you are talking about a "Disk Backup set", this is what you do:

Exit Retrospect.

Move (not copy) the folder with the *.rdb files to its new location.

Launch Retrospect

Configure-->Backup Sets.

Change the location in the "Members" properties by clicking on the "Browse" button. See attached picture.

Thank you Lenart! I hope posting my q here is ok....

Being on Mac, when you say "move, not copy" Im thinking you mean "copy the files to the new destination, then you could delete the old files or unmount the disk with the old files so Ret wont see them when you launch Ret and reconfig the backup set"... yes?

thank you

brad p

5 hours ago, bradp015 said:

Thank you Lenart! I hope posting my q here is ok....

Being on Mac, when you say "move, not copy" Im thinking you mean "copy the files to the new destination, then you could delete the old files or unmount the disk with the old files so Ret wont see them when you launch Ret and reconfig the backup set"... yes?

thank you

brad p

Yes. :) 

• Like 1

Lennart's method to move a storage set to a diff. hard drive works great!

For anyone else doing this with Retro 9 on mac:

When I chose a diff drive for the storage set the pathname listed did NOT change to the new drive path. On doing a test backup I returned to the storage set to look at the path and i DID change. So perhaps after you change the path to the new drive, cycle things by visiting another tab in retro and then return to the path page. If that doesnt work do a small test backup and then check the path. i would but it will be diff. and list the new destination drive path.....

thanks!

brad p