BobRand

Retrospect 7.7 Stops with No Warning

I have 4 data sets. Set A & B are complete backup of C: They run every other Sunday at 11:40 PM. A recycle backup is scheduled every 12 weeks with a 6 week shift between the recycle backup of sets A & B. I am backing up to a 320 GB local hard drive (G: Backup). About 4.4 GB are used on G: for nonretrospect backups.

Set C & D are a backup of my files. They run every day at 10:50 PM for alternate weeks. On week 1, Set C has a recycle backup on Sunday at 11:30 PM and then runs a normal backup every day for week at 10:50 PM. On week 2, Set D has a recycle backup on Sunday at 11:30 and runs a normal backup every day for a week at 10:50 PM.

This procedure ran without problem on Retrospect Express 7.6. With Retrospect 7.7, I would find Retrospect still running on Monday morning with no error message or other indication of a problem. When I opened retrospect I found Retrospect stopped because the target drive (G: Backup) was full. However drive G: was not full it had over 100 GB of spare space.

I went to Configure/ Backup sets/ Backup Set A/ Properties/ Members/ 1-Backup Set on Backup/ Properties: The default setting for “Use at Most†was 50% (116 GB). I have increased “Use at Most†to 65% (151 GB) then to 95% (221 GB) and Retrospect still stops based on inadequate storage space. Drive G: (Backup) has over 100 GB free!!! I have to run a recycle backup to restore operation.

I could not find information on backup media size restrictions / setup in the Retrospect User’s guide. I do not know if I am adjusting the correct variable or how to properly adjust it. I suspect Retrospect is using the file count to determine if the backup will fit the available space on the media. Retrospect does not seem to take into account that a normal backup only needs space for the changed files and/or does not take into consideration the compression factor.

I have a Dell XPS 420 running Vista ultimate 32 bit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob Rand

THIS IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM.

WHEN RETROSPECT STOPS WITHOUT WARNING ALL SCHEDULED BACKUPS STOP!!!!

I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED THAT RETROSPECT HAS NOT REPLIED OR ACKNOWLEDGED THIS PROBLEM.

This is the second time this has happened and I would appreciate some help.

I have some screen prints that would be helpful to resolve this problem but I do not see how to attach them.

Bob Rand

Bob,

Complaining here does no good because this is a user-to-user support forum.

I suggest that you contact Retrospect support. Here is the link:

Contact Retrospect tech support

As for screen shot attachments, see this link here for the magic dance:

Forum Attachment Rules Change

However, the email link for the forum admin is out of date in that thread. Here's the correct link (at least as of today):

Contact Forum Admin

Russ