Losing clients - client not found

Hi,

I'm running a Mac OS X server w/ version 8.1 of the workgroup. Have a mixed client network of Mac & PCs. Regardless of if I add them via network scan or by network name, every week or so I loose some. They are still on the network but retrospect reports -530 client not found. removing and re-adding works every time - but why do I have to keep doing this repetitively, almost weekly?

Any tips are much appreciated - thanks.

• 1 month later...

I am having a problem seeing clients. When I look on the Network view, the client says 'Responding'. When I double-click on it and click the Configure tab, it says 'Sorry, can't connect to client - error 541 (client not installed or not running)'. The client _is_ installed and I have even opened the Retrospect Client on that machine and it _still_ gives this message. If it wasn't installed, it couldn't have a status of 'Responding'. What's going on?

We need more information. For starters, let us know the version of Retrospect, any installed RDU's, and the OS versions on the backup computer and the client.

Have you ever been able to connect with this client in the past? Does the client have more than one connection to the network, such as Ethernet plus WiFi? How are you connecting with the client? Are there any other clients that you can access?

We need more information. For starters, let us know the version of Retrospect, any installed RDU's, and the OS versions on the backup computer and the client.

Have you ever been able to connect with this client in the past? Does the client have more than one connection to the network, such as Ethernet plus WiFi? How are you connecting with the client? Are there any other clients that you can access?

I am using Retrospect Backup 6.1.230. I am on Mac OS X 10.4.6 and the client I am referring to is on Mac OS X 10.5.8 and Retrospect Client 6.2.234. I don't know what an RDU is. I can connect with this client some of the time, but not always. The client is only connected via WiFi. All other network functions work for this client, except Retrospect. I can access all other clients on the network.

My big question is why Retrospect says the client is responding and then say it's not installed or not running. It can't be both.

My big question is why Retrospect says the client is responding and then say it's not installed or not running. It can't be both.

The reason you see this anomaly is that Retrospect does not regularly update the client status in the Backup Clients on Network window. In my experience, if a client was ever responding at some point, it will always annoyingly show as "Responding" in this window until the Retrospect app is relaunched. The status window that pops up when you attempt to access the client is the one you should believe.

The first thing to check when you get the "client not installed/not running" error is the status of the client app. You will need to do this at the client computer itself. People have reported instances where the client software does spontaneously turn itself off. You can search this forum for that issue if it turns out to be the problem in your case; however, I'd be inclined simply to uninstall the client software (using the client installer and not by dragging the client app to the trash) and then reinstall it to see if that provides a fix.

If, on the other hand, you find that the client is running, I'd suspect that the IP address lease may have expired between the time that Retrospect first connected and the time you got the error message. If the router then reassigned the address where Retrospect was expecting to find your client to some other computer not running Retrospect client, you would get a 541 error.

I don't know what an RDU is.

RDU = Retrospect Driver Update. It's always best to have the latest one installed, as it includes bug fixes as well as offering access to newer devices. The RDU version will appear in the log whenever Retrospect is relaunched, and can also be found in the Status tab of the "About Retrospect" window. The last RDU for Retrospect 6.1 can be downloaded here