Disk Backup sets in 7.6

Hello,

I'm using Retrospect 7.6 and have been using Disk Backup sets for years. Now I need to change our backup strategy somewhat and I have two questions:

1) We must have two backup sets' data on the same physical disk. Do I tell the sets to use 49% each (and adjust later if I need to) or can I set both to 99% without ill effects? (I do use a groom script every weekend, so the disk should never fill up.)

2) I have a faint memory of reading somewhere that the catalog file should not reside on the same disk as the backup data itself. However, I can't find it in the manual so maybe I'm not rememberring correctly?

Anyway, if I do remember correctly, what are the reasons for such a rule?

Thanks!

I usually just set both to 99% and let Retrospect use whatever space it needs.

I would NOT put the catalog on the backup disk. Keep it on the C: disk or a different drive. Catalog corruption may happen if the destination disk gets full. Also reduced performance could be a factor

Thank you.

About saving the catalog file:

There are already two catalog files on the C: drive and three on the E: drive. Problem is that when two or more scripts are updating their own catalog file simultaneously, both script seems to stall. Eventually they will get going again at their normal speed.

The F: and G: drives, where the backup data is, are two NAS servers with RAID-5 disks. They are connected with iSCSI over gigabit ethernet.

Let's say the backup sets are allowed to use, say, 90% of one of the NAS disks. That will leave ample space for the catalog file, right? (Assuming that 10% of the disk is much larger than the catalog file.)

I have about 10 backup sets on our small network, all of them sit on the C: drive of the server, whilst the backup data is on a NAS share.

Not an ideal solution as the catalogues get hammered and of course is sitting on the same physical drive as the OS!

Hmm, maybe I'll put another disc in the server for this...

Rich