My four grippes with retrospect 7.7

lbenac

I am starting to get frustrated with this product.

So far here is the score card:

1) REV backup not functioning Retrospect stuck in an endless loop at 2 GB. The worst of this is that Iomega is part of EMC2.

2) MD5 not functioning > errors during verification

3) backup to ftp folder on Iomega Network drive > not functioning (wait of course it is another EmC2 product so it should not be supported :confused: )

4) email notification dutifully warn me when Retrospect starts, when Retrospect stops... all very useful information :eyes:

So much for industry strength product...

Cheers,

Luc

1) What OS is the REV drive on?

2) What errors are you seeing? If you are getting MD5 errors, then that could mean something is failing to be copied correctly

3) Retrospect does not support backup over FTP protocols. You should be able to write data to a standard network shared volume via SMB or MS Networking

4) For some users knowing when Retrospect opens is useful.

1) What OS is the REV drive on?

2) What errors are you seeing? If you are getting MD5 errors, then that could mean something is failing to be copied correctly

3) Retrospect does not support backup over FTP protocols. You should be able to write data to a standard network shared volume via SMB or MS Networking

4) For some users knowing when Retrospect opens is useful.

1) Windows 7 64 bit - 70gb internal SATA REV on plain Intel chipset

2) I only get MD5 errors if MD5 creation is prevented in preferences then I can get a backup/duplicate without errors

3) all right but when I setup the drive via UNC in the backup set with 900GB available the backup stops after a while (last time at 155GB) and ask for another drive. Note that UNC is the only way to include drive in backup set as it does not appers under MS network or as a local drive even if mapped in Windows. Note that this does not happen when doing a backup with Acronis on same drive both MS networking or FTP (which is supported).

Note that power saving is set to High Performance in W7.

4)good for them but as per other posts it would be nice to have a choice and get what one's consider relevant information only. I backup several different disks daily so it makes for a lot of emails most without relevance to me i.e. tell me only if there is a problem or if successful.

Cheers,

Luc

Edited by Guest

Luc,

As for item 2 (MD5), you might help Robin most when pasting the errors from the log.

Item 3... well, it might be the NAS (even if it's Iomega/EMC) isn't 100% compatible with SMB. Retrospect seems to be very picky about this. Did this work correctly with 7.6.123?

Item 4, as a workaround, use message rules in your e-mail client. I agree with what you want, but as it is I rather have too much info instead of too little. Personally I rather have EMC engineers work on other things.

I checked with Iomega support about Windows 7 and Rev drives. They told me:

Rev System Software (application which allows read/write functionalities) is not compatible with Windows 7. Rev uses Windows 7 built-in UDF drivers for read/write.

Retrospect itself traditionally has required the Rev software to function correctly. We are doing some internal testing to identify if Retrospect will work under Windows 7 with the Rev when the drivers are not available.

If the "Iomega drive seems off line until restarted" that sounds like a problem with the NAS more then Retrospect itself.

I checked with Iomega support about Windows 7 and Rev drives. They told me:

Rev System Software (application which allows read/write functionalities) is not compatible with Windows 7. Rev uses Windows 7 built-in UDF drivers for read/write.

Retrospect itself traditionally has required the Rev software to function correctly. We are doing some internal testing to identify if Retrospect will work under Windows 7 with the Rev when the drivers are not available.

Robin, in that case, shouldn't this be corrected?

If the "Iomega drive seems off line until restarted" that sounds like a problem with the NAS more then Retrospect itself.

That was my first impression but then why it is working perfectly with Acronis True Image backup?

BTW I can get back access to the Iomega Media Home Network drive once I close Retrospect.

Thank you.

Luc

Low and behold.

No sooner did I posted my concerns that at least one of the issue seems to have resolved itself.

I was able to have a full backup on the Iomega Network drive (about 250GB) for the first time. It did take a few hours but the backup completed.

Hurrah.

Regarding the REV issue, I can understand that part of the blame might rest with Iomega as they never supported very well the REV product with timely working drivers. That said, why is it described as fully supported with no side note excluding Windows 7 support on retrospect web site.

To be fair, Acronis has the same issue of playing fast and loose regarding their advertised "support" of the product. Bad on the industry not on EMC2 alone.

Cheers,

Luc

We have reproduced the problem with the REV disk reporting media full at 2 GB. We are investigating the cause. For us it only happened on the 2nd disk, not the 1st disk.

Nice. looking forward to a future solution.

In my case it happens right at the first disk running "Archive" on a folder that should in fact fit into one disk.

Cheers,

Luc