verify "needs media" with a one member disk media set!?

impala

Retrospect 8.1 build 626

Mac Pro 10.6.2

I have an USB attached disk media set with one member. Yesterday Retrospect stalled during a copy backup to this media set from another disk media set. It said something about needing access to the member. I cannot find the script activity in the log, maybe because I had to force power-off the mac because the engine refused to quit.

Anyway, I decided to verify this media set. Now the verify has stalled with 1,212 files to go saying it needs media. There is no other member to this media set!

What now? Do I rebuild the catalog or something?

I cannot find the script activity in the log, maybe because I had to force power-off the mac because the engine refused to quit.

Might have other issues too because of the forced power off. I'd consider taking that volume offline and running Disk Utility on it prior to rebuilding the catalog. The filesystem might be confused.

Russ

After I stopped the media request, I found this in the log:

+ Executing verify at 1/27/2010 7:58 PM (Execution unit 1)

- 1/27/2010 7:58:14 PM: Verifying toshiba

TMacVol::GetInfo: UGetDevicePathFromVolume failed, error 2

Total duration: 21:53:24 (21:05:22 idle/loading/preparing)

Sigh.

The volume is mounted as "toshiba-1"

Your first screen shot doesn't have the Location column widened out enough to see the full path (Retrospect still doesn't remember the column width setting across different panels, but that's a different issue), but if the path to the Member is something other then

[color:purple]/Volumes/toshiba-1/[/color]

(such as /Volumes/toshiba/)

then that would explain why Retrospect isn't seeing the Member.

Dave

I have had similar issues with a retrospect when a drive in my media set was failing. Looked like a retrospect problem but problem was actually caused by a failing drive. Check Russ's advice and post back results. I spent alot of time on this because I was sure the 2 month old drives could not be the problem. Next time I will check first.

Edited by Guest
original post wasnt clear*its late here

I have had similar issues with a retrospect when a drive in my media set was failing. Looked like a retrospect problem but problem was actually caused by a failing drive. Check Russ's advice and post back results. I spent alot of time on this because I was sure the 2 month old drives could not be the problem. Next time I will check first.

Well, this situation is a bit different from yours. While my comment about forced power off is still appropriate, and I do believe that the original poster needs to check the filesystem and probably needs to rebuild the catalog because of the forced power off, upon reviewing the screen shots (especially the third screen shot, in which volume "toshiba-1" is selected, when Retrospect wants a volume (mount point) named "toshiba"), I believe that CallMeDave has correctly spotted the problem:

Sigh.

The volume is mounted as "toshiba-1"

Your first screen shot doesn't have the Location column widened out enough to see the full path (Retrospect still doesn't remember the column width setting across different panels, but that's a different issue), but if the path to the Member is something other then

[color:purple]/Volumes/toshiba-1/[/color]

(such as /Volumes/toshiba/)

then that would explain why Retrospect isn't seeing the Member.

Now, the [color:red]cause[/color] of the problem (the mounting) is a different issue - I suspect that the original poster may have manually unmounted or mounted the volume at some point, and that's a long discussion. Perhaps some thought needs to go into Retrospect's handling of mounted volumes (and Retrospect's fighting with the Finder), but the best we can do at this point is to explain the problem and help users develop an understanding of the cause and workaround.

I don't see this because we only use tape, but Dave has explained this issue many times.

At a minimum, Retrospect could help lead users in the right direction if the Location field was wider (and if column widths would "stick"), and if the GUI also displayed the mount name that Retrospect wanted (e.g., if the third screen shot instead said "Select folder: 1-toshiba [color:red]on source toshiba[/color]" or something similar).

Russ

Edited by Guest
GUI needs to display mount point name

I would still like to know the difference between repair catalog and rebuild catalog.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I did a disk utility repair operation on all the volumes as soon as I could after the forced power-off. No errors were found. I just now connected the toshiba-1 drive via sata instead of usb and disk utility reports the smart status is verified. so I have no other indication the drive is failing. I admit it is always possible.

The volume name actually is toshiba-1 which represents member 1 of the toshiba disk media set. I plan to add more members as space is required. When I devised my naming system, I didn't know retrospect did it the other way around. ie: 1-toshiba

"rebuild catalog" -- will create a new catalog file from scratch.

"repair catalog" -- will *update* the catalog in instances where you might have had a crash during a backup -- sort of an incremental update to the catalog file based on the newly added .rdb files in the media set during the crash.

I've done both. "repair" is faster -- but frequently doesn't really do anything.

"rebuild" will take longer (as it starts from the beginning), but will indicate if there are any problems within the members of the media set (in the log).

I would suggest a "rebuild" at this point.

The volume name actually is toshiba-1 which represents member 1 of the toshiba disk media set. I plan to add more members as space is required. When I devised my naming system, I didn't know retrospect did it the other way around. ie: 1-toshiba

Ah. Now we have another piece of the puzzle. Seems that there may be some confusion happening here between the Finder and Retrospect and the user.

The Mac Finder, by default, mounts all volumes (except for / ) on mount points (folder names) that it autocreates within /Volumes . There is special code in Mac OS, different from standard Unix, that allows two volumes to be mounted with the same apparent name in the GUI. The Finder hides all of this by naming the extra mount points as "xxxxx-1", "xxxxx-2", etc., where xxxxx is the volume name presented to the user.

Russ