Completely frustrated--TCP/IP

ghafer

I have become completely frustrated in trying to convert four Retrospect Macintosh clients (4.3) from Appletalk to TCP/IP, trying to get ready for dumping Appletalk with Retrospect 5, since it will no longer be supported. My iMac, for example, operates over AirPort; I dumped the Retrospect client and reinstalled the client for TCP/IP. When the iMac reboots, I see the control panel now reads TCP/IP and "Ready for First Activation" in the pane.

The desktop Retrospect application resides on a Cube. When I select Configure>Clients>Network, "Hafer's iMAC" appears greyed out in the main pane when "TCP/IP" and "MacOS" appear in the other panes. However, the "Hafer's iMAC" also registers as "Not Logged In." When I try to log it in by clicking the "Log In…" button, I receive a dialog box telling me that the "Client is not Visible on Network." If I try to add by address (the address taken in the file sharing control panel), I receive the same message.

This same process was replicated on my iBook with the same negative results. If I had any hair left, I would pull it out!

-- Gary

• 2 weeks later...

If it says "ready for activation" then you haven't installed a 4.3 client on it. Only older clients refer to activation.

Make sure you are installing the very latest client (4.3 minimum) on the remote computer.

Also make sure that you're restarting after trashing the old client and before installing the new one.

If the "old" clients show up from your application, you'll need to "forget" them. Go to Configure > Clients, and highlight the old clients in this window. From the Clients menu at the top of the screen, click forget.

Good luck!

Irena,

Thanks Irena, but that was not the problem--4.3 was installed on all client machines--but I did discover what the source of the difficulty was and I'm surprised I didn't find it to be a common problem in the KnowledgeBAse. I use AirPort in the network--something I didn't mention in my previous post because I thought it was irrelevant--and it seems you must have AirPort distribute a range of IP addresses for Retrospect to recognize the clients over TCP/IP. A call to Apple, based on my hunch, gave me something to explore. I worked weeks on this problem.

-- Gary

Archived