needs media?

jaypublix

How do you append new tapes onto an existing media set?

My script is waiting for media, there is a tape icon with a flashing question mark next to activities. When I select the activity that is paused (my script), it says that it needs media. I have added a new tape and erased it, then tried to select the erased tape with the choose media button. I then get aMedia Request dialog that says "this is already in use by another Media Set"...

So, how do you add tapes to a script that is running?

Does this actually work, or is it another retro "issue" in v 8.1?

thanks

I then get aMedia Request dialog that says "this is already in use by another Media Set"...

So, how do you add tapes to a script that is running?

Is the tape you inserted part of an existing Media Set?

What happens when you insert a _blank_ or _erased_ tape and ask Retrospect to use that?

is it another retro "issue" in v 8.1?

If your tape contains Retrospect data, then it's an "issue" that has been part of Retrospect's design since the first version that supported tape drives. It's a feature, not a bug.

Dave

Sorry for not clearly stating what I have done, the tape that I am trying to add is erased.

How was it erased? There are two types of "erased" tapes in Retrospect.

(1) tapes that are erased by Retrospect and which have been given a Retrospect header as a member of a backup (um, media) set but no data on that member; and

(2) tapes that are truly blank out of the box.

Again, exactly what steps did you take to erase the tape? It truly may be an erased member of another backup (um, media) set.

Oh, and also, is the tape barcoded? Retrospect might be making that association through the barcode.

Russ

I erased the tape via retrospects erase command, I do not have barcodes on any of the tapes in the media set...

After erasing with retrospect, it says "untitled"

The tape was previously part of another media set, but erasing the tape has (in the past) allowed me to use the tape in another media set....

Thanks

Edited by Guest

Ok. I assume that you are still using the Exabyte/Tandberg VXA-320 Firewire drive that you have mentioned in other posts.

Just for the purposes of figuring out what is going on here, have you tried erasing the tape using the vxatool command line utility that can be downloaded from the Exabyte web site? That would produce a tape without the Retrospect header.

What happens in that case?

Russ

No, not the vxa, I have given up on that until the next round of retro updates....too much hassle....

this is an LTO-2 drive, which had been working pretty reliably, unlike the vxa drive....

I was hoping to avoid having to cancel my script in the middle of its execution, but I guess there's no alternative....

Thanks

FYI, tried using ltotool to erase a tape, and retro still gives me the media request message "this tape is already in use by another media set" when I try and use the choose media button....

Is retro unable to append media onto a media set now? Is this a new feature in retro 8? I am nearly at my wits end with retro8, everyday it seems like I find something else that used to work, that retro has fixed so it no longer works!

In activities, status says "needs media"...not sure if retro is requesting a new member or trying to add data to the prior member. How do I check that?

I have previously called tech support about another issue, and I usually get better advice, and quicker replies, from the forum (i.e. it takes awhile to get a human)..

I have previously called tech support about another issue, and I usually get better advice, and quicker replies, from the forum (i.e. it takes awhile to get a human)..

I've always found the Retrospect tech support to be very good.

Plus, if EMC starts to realize the costs incurred by support calls because there isn't a manual, perhaps appropriate resources will be put in that direction.

Russ

Yes, maybe calling TS would force EMC's hand to release a manual. Of course, a well designed, well written program makes TS cost less, so maybe they will spend some more resources on fixing an obviously immature product...

Regarding TS, I'm glad you had positive experiences with retro TS, I personally have not. I have only called a few times, and I could have gotten a good person on a bad day, but in my experience, I have found them to be condescending..Also, they try and play a blame game and deny that there are issues with their software.

Just my $.02 and it is based on limited experience, but I wouldn't call back if I needed to get my setup working reliably...

I have a similar problem, and I think I might have a clue what happens.

1. A script, let's call it "Client Backup [005]", begins running using a fresh tape.

2. On the second day/run, the tape becomes full; Retro asks for a new media.

3. You enter an old, used tape (last backup on that was, say, "Client Backup [002]"). The you go to the Devices section and erase the tape. It now has a name like "untitled" or whatever it is in English).

4. The script (which is waiting for media at this point) notices that an empty tape is present and immediately starts using that. It names the tape "1-Client Backup [005]".

5. After the current source is backed up, for some reason, the script is again requesting a new media for the next source of that script. (I get a fresh email saying "needs media" at this point). This looks like a bug (some flag not being reset?)

6. You look into the console, see that it "still" (apparently) asks for a new tape, so you try and click the "select media" button in the script and specify the current tape. But Retro won't let you; after all, the tape "1-Client Backup [005]" belongs to a beckup set - the current one...

7. I bet if you insert another tape and erase that, Retro will back up at least one more source. Right now I can't try as I have stopped the current execution.

Anybody care to verify?