Execution unit more than 8

paresh

It can be done quite easily on one physical computer. The trick is virtualization. I have one, which among several other virtual servers all running simultaneously, runs three copies of Retrospect each one running in their own copy of Windows, and I don't see any performance penalty at all.

:banana:

You would of course need multiple Retrospect licenses though, including all add-ons.

One would expect that, but I was a bit intrigued and checked the EULA. This is when it becomes interesting...

1. License Grant. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, EMC Corporation ("EMC") hereby grants you a nonexclusive, worldwide, non-transferable (except as permitted under Section 8), perpetual, revocable license, under all of EMC's Intellectual Property Rights (defined below) in the Software, to: (i) use, perform, and display the Software solely in accordance with the documentation provided to you along with the Software (the "Documentation") for your internal business purposes and at a single site designated by you; (ii) make as many copies of the Software as permitted by the license code (the "License Code") provided to you; and (iii) make one (1) copy of the Software solely for backup or archival purposes. Any copy you make under this Section must include the EMC copyright notice. As used herein, "Intellectual Property Rights" means all present and future copyrights, trademark rights, trade secret rights, patent rights, and any other intellectual property rights recognized in any jurisdiction.

See the bold type...

I checked the Licence Key e-mail and I was surprised there was no mentioning of any number of copies... Nothing at all.

Morally however, one would expect to need another licence when using another -physical- machine, like it is standard practice in the software industry. But with virtualization in mind it seems the perhaps aging Retrospect licensing system doesn't take that into account...

Arguably one could say one could use multiple copies on a single hardware platform and be legally safe. Retrospects licensing doesn't seem to take virtualization into account (yet?) and as long as Retrospect actually isn't modernised to use current spec multi-core hardware efficiently EMC would need to be morally correct to Retrospect users and allow the mentioned method of having multiple (virtual) instances running on a single hardware platform.

Just my 2 cents and opinion. But I'm no lawyer so this post might not be correct at all. It would be interesting to learn EMC's official position in this.