Nightly Full Backups on removeable media

We replaced a failed tape backup system with an Imation Odyssey Docking Station w/removable HDD Cartridges. The Docking Station came with Retrospect 7.5.

The intention was to use the same backup strategy as we did with the tapes - customer on location puts in a new tape/cartridge each day, backup software automatically writes backup to media, clearing it if necessary.

I set up a Recycle backup using a Disk Backup set. My understanding was that the Recycle backup "looks for the first media member of the backup set and erases it if it is available." My expectation was that it would find a used cartridge called Backup set - A, erase it, and use it as I expected.

This did not work, I was receiving Waiting for Media error messages.

I upgraded to Retrospect 7.6, because I understood that it had better support for Removable Media. I created a new "Removable Media" backup set, rather than the disk backup set, hoping that this would work more like my old tape software. Whenever the customer inserts a cartridge that was previously used, I again get a waiting for media error message, and the backup will not complete.

Could you please advise me on how I can get Retrospect to do what I need? I saw another post that suggested that it may not be possible, but if this is true, I am seriously misunderstanding the Recycle functionality. Thanks for any advice that you can provide,

Jen

• Like 4

Jen,

This forum really isn't the right place for this post, and is rarely read. The right place would be in one of the Retrospect for Windows forums:

Retrospect for Windows forums

I know, the forums are poorly named, and its a bit hard sometimes to figure out where the right place is to post. Problem is, for questions like yours, the answers are pretty specific to the particular Retrospect version and flavor.

Good news is that your Imation Odyssey appears to be a supported device:

Retrospect supported devices - Imation Odyssey

Russ