Cannot connect to engine

My machine is managed over a network, but has a local administrator account as well. I normally manage Retrospect backups from the network-based account, and it seems to work fine. However, I have recently noticed that if I launch Retrospect from the local administrator account, it fails to connect to the engine and therefore cannot be used. This is serious because if my hard drive crashes, it is essential to restore local files before I can hope to get the network account working. How can I fix this problem?

I mean that Retrospect runs well if I am logged in to my usual account. However, it does not run if instead I login on a separate account intended for administration. The point is that my main account is network managed, and is inaccessible if for example the machine cannot connect to the network.

This is not a theoretical point. I had to reformat my hard drive on Monday, and fortunately was able to restore my files using Time machine; although I had a recent Retrospect backup, Retrospect would not run on the administrative account.

This refers to Retrospect Version 8.1 (build 526).

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 8

Memory: 10 GB

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.1 (10B504)

First, I see you are running 10.6. You can not safely do a full system restore with 10.6 until after we release our snow leopard updates.

If the system crashes then you would normally reinstall 10.6.1 (same system version you had during backup) and then Install Retrospect or Retrospect client and perform a full system restore.

Retrospect should be able to run under any system account, since the engine is running as root.

Yes, that is precisely the point. The engine is indeed running:

~/isabelle/Repos/src/HOL: ps uA | grep Engine

root 59 0.1 0.6 211268 57968 ?? Ss 3:11pm 13:58.86 /Library/Application Support/Retrospect/RetrospectEngine.bundle/Contents/MacOS/RetroEngine

I don't see provision for attachments in this forum, or I would send you the screenshots I get when I attempt to run Retrospect on both counts. on the administrator account, I made a manual connection to 127.0.0.1, but the display still says "not connected".

I think the problem is indeed connected with licenses. I almost certainly set up Retrospect on the network managed account, where the licenses pane shows my license code as desktop, client pack, etc.

On the administrator account, no licenses are shown on that pane, nor does there appear to be any way that I can enter a license code.

on the administrator account, I made a manual connection to 127.0.0.1, but the display still says "not connected".

Sounds as if your Managed Macintosh Environment (MME) is causing your non-managed user to not see that address as the localhost.

So what happens if you make a manual connection to the actual IP address of the machine?

Using the real IP address didn't make any difference.

I suspected an ownership/permissions problem involving the file that stores the licensing information, but I don't know where this resides. All the files in /Library/Application Support/Retrospect are owned by root.

Is there a telephone number for technical support that isn't eight time zones away from the UK?