How do I update the Console?

mbabco

I have updated to version 8.1.526. At the end of the update, it told me to update the server and the console to the latest version and gave an update button, which took me to the update download page: http://www.retrospect.com/supportupdates/updates/

On this page, under "Retrospect 8 for Macintosh" there aren't any updaters for the console or the server.

What is the procedure for updating the console & the server?

Thanks for the answer. With all due respect, I find thisa very kludgey way to update the console & server. Your program already downloaded a 62 MB file to update the program itself to 8.1.526. It definitely is NOT intuitive to go to the download page and then download a file that appears to be what the program has already done. It would at least be nice to have notes on the download page that the file is necessary for updating the console & server. Then when I download the complete file there's nothing about servers or consoles. I clicked the "Install Retrospect Engine" installer and it seemed to have taken care of it.

Suggestion: When you make updates, place in an easy to find place on your website instructions that cover exactly what we need to do, particularly if the automatic program update doesn't take care of it by itself.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm running Mac Desktop 8.1.526.1. Upon opening the application, I get a warning "Please update the server and the console to the latest versions... " The "Update" button gets me to the download page for this site. The only available option is to re-download the same update.

I opened the packages on that update and don't see any "Install Utility's"

Can you be a bit more specific please?

Many thanks

The problem is this: automatic update handles itself fine, downloads a 62 mb file to do what it needs to do, then at the end tells you you need to do the engine by yourself. As it turns out, to do the engine you basically have to do what the automatic update just did, and download the same 62 mb file. Then you have to know enough of what you're doing to install the engine update, which means you could have just bypassed the whole automatic update process and done it all with one download.

So if the automatic update knows enough to, upon completion, refer you to the proper download page, why doesn't it just begin with that rather than end with it? Then you'd download the file, have it sitting in your Downloads folder, and auto-update could work off of that, then finish by displaying that download in finder and telling you to update the Engine. Or just keep auto-update the way it is, except change it so that it retains the downloaded update for the end step; i.e. rather than direct you to the website, it could direct you to the big thing it just downloaded, with the alert to double-click on the engine updater.

I can't think of any good reason why the auto-update should work the way it does now. If there were separate downloads for Console and Engine updates, then maybe it would make sense. Is there some kind of long-range plan to go that route? The fact that Console is build 526 while engine is 525 right now sort of hints in that direction, I think.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've just recently been promoted to manage the IT at our small business and am new to retrospect. I ran the update within the app as prompted and got the same error, followed by about 15 minutes of freaking out thinking I'd messed up the server backup. Many thanks for explaining the simple (yet ridiculously stupid) way to fix this problem. Wouldn't it have made more sense just to include all of that in the original in-app update? Hmm. Either way, glad to see our server backup is back up (pun intended) and running! Thanks guys!

I can't think of any good reason why the auto-update should work the way it does now

A lot of technical reasons actually do exist. One example is that the engine and console could be on different computers. The console displays the Update notification, it is not possible to download and push that update to a different computer and then run that install on the computer running the engine.

The engine could be on a headless server, so if the engine actually had a user interface to report an available update, you may not even see it because the server is headless.

Edited by Guest

A lot of technical reasons actually do exist. One example is that the engine and console could be on different computers. The console displays the Update notification, it is not possible to download and push that update to a different computer and then run that install on the computer running the engine.

The engine could be on a headless server, so if the engine actually had a user interface to report an available update, you may not even see it because the server is headless.

Yes, but the technical problems could be solved by fixing the interface so that the engine version was available at the console (perhaps by the list of servers/engines) and an appropriate message shown on the console for the engines that need updating, and if the message reported the particular machine for which the "update needed" message was occurring.

Also, the Retrospect protocol could be expanded to have the engine spawn an update process, etc.

Simply because there is a problem doesn't mean that it can't be solved.

Moreover, these "technical problems" and interface issues should have been spotted during a design review prior to beginning the coding, at which time the design could have been adjusted to accommodate. There was a design review of the split of Retrospect into engine and console prior to coding, wasn't there? If there wasn't, then that explains the severe growing pains that are still being experienced.

Russ

Mayoff Said:

"A lot of technical reasons actually do exist. One example is that the engine and console could be on different computers."

I do not get this at all. I got the same befuddling message about needing to update the console and I have one (1) only computer on my network.

I do understand that the potentially remote installation of the Engine relative to the console means that these need to be upgraded in two separate processes. The solutions I was putting forth had more to do with streamlining the download process so that it is not required twice. It's far faster to copy the 61mb installer package across my LAN than it is to fetch it from the web, so even if the Engine is installed elsewhere, I'd prefer to just update it from the package I retrieved when doing the Console. Maybe the computer where the Console is installed can include an "Updates" folder within the Retrospect hierarchy, which retains the downloaded package until such time as it detects a matching Engine installation (and perhaps as a preference, one can opt to retain such updaters indefinitely). Then, if the Engine is remote from the Console, the first step in its update process is just to copy that updater across the network...

I'm not a software guy, actually, so I don't know what complications might arise. I just think that, instead of pointing us to a web URL, it would be simple to point us to a local folder, which contains the contents at that URL because we've already downloaded it once.