Offline backup of an online grooming backup. Advice needed.

We have an automatically grooming backup running (disk backup set). However we are required to also have an offline version of it. We want to use an RDX or tape drive for that purpose.

The question is what would be the best strategy and type of script? We want to use at least two sets. And because of the nature of the data, need to be able to look back two weeks at least.

Because the source is an automatically grooming backup, are there any considerations when backing up to a more linear medium like tape/RDX?

Thanks Lennart.

Would "All active Snapshots for each source" be a better Transfer option compared to "Transfer all recent Snapshots"?

I mean, when we would recycle the offline backup, we would like to fetch all the relevant data from the source backup, not only the latest snapshot.

Sorry, this aspect of Retrospect I have never used before and our backup structure is getting quite complex with multiple Retrospect installs sometimes depending on each other logistics wise. I wish there would be a way two separate Retrospect installs could be aware of each others scripts and backups. And though I understand an offline backup might be useful in certain disaster recovery scenarios, we are certainly going a bit over the top and are getting "penta-redundant" (redundant offsite as well, but also online). But the client's auditor requested their data being backed up offline as well... It's giving me an headache. :eyes:

RDX drive has arrived to do some testing.

Just one question:

If my source Backup Set is AES-128 encrypted, do I also need to set up encryption for my target Backups Set when doing a "Transfer Snapshot"?

Policy is that all offsite and offline storage needs to be encrypted.

if you want the destination to be encrypted, then you must use an encrypted backup set for the destination.

So am I right that the transfered (and encrypted) source Backup Set effectively becomes unencrypted when using the Transfer function to an unencrypted Backup Set?