Restoring data from an ARCHIVE set

SYSTEM:

Mac Pro dual quad core 2.8Ghz

OS X 10.5.6

Retrospect 8.1 (build 150)

HP Storageworks Ultrium 960 LTO3 drive

ATTO Express UL5D PCIexpress SCSI card

ISSUE:

I'm testing Retrospect to use as a potential Archive and Backup solution for my video media job folders. I've created an Archive set with two members. I'm now testing restoring particular folders from that archive set. When I set the restore process going, if I insert the correct tape (because I happen to know which one the data is on), the restore happens easily and happily. However, if I insert the wrong tape, it just sits there flashing a question mark and not asking for a particular tape. If I had 20 members to this set in the future, how am I to know which member to insert? I'm not feeling confident at the moment to use Retrospect as it feels a little hit and miss. I;m going to try Tolis BRU LE to perform the same tasks and see if it deals with members in sets more clearly. Please let me know if I'm missing the point with Retrospect. I'd like to use it as I've paid for it!

Thanks

Edited by Guest

When I set the restore process going, if I insert the correct tape (because I happen to know which one the data is on)

Doesn't Retrospect prompt you to insert the tape it wants you to insert?

If I had 20 members to this set in the future, how am I to know which member to insert?

You'd insert the one the program requested.

I'm testing Retrospect...

...I've paid for it!

That was a bit premature, given that EMC offers a free 30 day license code (which is actually valid for 45 days) for testing.

However, if I insert the wrong tape, it just sits there flashing a question mark and not asking for a particular tape. If I had 20 members to this set in the future, how am I to know which member to insert?

Get an autoloader and use barcoded tapes. Seriously. It is the only way to do tape backup / restore. An autoloader will change your life. Really. And it would solve all of these issues that you are having.

I'm not going to go off on a discourse about whether you know better than Retrospect which tape is needed. It knows and you don't. Trust me on that. Retrospect tries hard to protect your data.

Even if you go to another backup program, get an autoloader and use barcoded tapes. Really.

Russ

Thank you - that works a treat. I had tried ctrl click and cmd clicking on the ?, I didn't think of the trusty old double click.

A question relating to this: Can I write protect any data written to an archive, enabling me to come back at a later date to add to the archive set and be confident I am not over-writing data already on there?

Thanks.

Can I write protect any data written to an archive, enabling me to come back at a later date to add to the archive set and be confident I am not over-writing data already on there?

Yes, it's called the write protect tab on the tape cartridge. There is no other certain way with any software (which might fail) that can prevent accidental overwrites.

There are also "Write Once, Read Many" tape cartridges (supported by Retrospect) that are required in certain businesses (so that audit trails can't be changed, etc.), that won't allow overwriting or erasure. But you can't simply designate cartridges as WORM; they are special, and can't be erased, etc., either. Doesn't sound like what you are asking about, though.

As for being certain that a subsequent Retrospect backup to that backup set won't overwrite data already there, Retrospect tries very hard to prevent this. It puts a header on the tape and verifies the header before writing to the backup set, so as to guard against overwriting the wrong tape that gets mis-inserted. Sometimes this can be very frustrating because Retrospect won't write on a tape that you have inserted (see your problem statement).

Unless you tell Retrospect to erase the tape, or to reset that media set, etc., (or whatever the currently-correct name is for backup sets - it keeps changing from release to release), Retrospect remembers what is on the tape and won't overwrite it.

Russ

Edited by Guest

Thanks Russ.

I might explore the WORM option. Essentially, I'm moving from archiving jobs to DVD or BluRay, to archiving onto LTO3 cartridges because of their phenomenal capacity. It's imperative that the jobs are accessible in the future, and absolutely safe as these will be my only copies. So write once, read many seems to fit that requirement. Thanks again.