Can I Duplicate a Backup Set?

I recently had a scare and thought that I had lost two years worth of data in my backup set. Using Retrospect 6.1.230 and backing up to a file set on a 1 TB drive, Retrospect began to stall and then hangup my entire computer. At it turns out it was a bad firewire cable. But the thought of losing all of my data prompted me to purchase another 1 TB drive and I have cloned my data onto the new drive. Is there a way that I could use the newly cloned backup set "and" my former backup set so that I would have the security of two backups? I would alternate daily backups between the two sets.

Charles

Yes, it's simple and is the recommended way.

Set up two backup set destinations in your backup schedule, one to each of the respective drives, and then configure an alternating day schedule in that script to back up to one on MWF, to the other on TThS, etc.

Note that such a setup DOES NOT protect you against a fire, etc., that takes out everything local. Offsite backups are the only way to go. Been there, done that, and Retrospect saved all of our data because of offsite backup storage when our floor of our office building burned down a few years back. Lost all of the computers and disk drives, etc., but did not lose any data.

See attached photo. My office is just to the left of the hole knocked in the windows by the fire department.

Russ

Russ,

Thanks for your assistance, I think I have it right. Using my existing script, I added a new destination, which is the clone of my existing backup on my new drive, and modified the schedule to alternate between the two. I will see how it goes tonight when the first backup is scheduled to run.

Thanks!

Charles

Ok, one point to note.

Retrospect tries very hard to protect your data, and sometimes will complain if you try to overwrite what it thinks is your valuable backup data.

I don't personally use file backup sets (all of our backup is to tape), so I'm not certain that a "clone" of the backup set will suffice to create what Retrospect recognizes as a different destination. Someone more familiar with file backup sets under Retrospect 6.x will have to address that (the rules of the game change completely for Retrospect 8.x), and note that there are some issues with limits of file sizes for file backup sets under Retrospect 6.x. I was only trying to address the "dual destination" / "alternating schedule" of your inquiry.

I do know that Retrospect will recognize a different destination backup set if you use Retrospect to "transfer" from one backup set to the other, but that is much slower than the duplicating / cloning operation you did.

I suggest that someone else chime in regarding whether your steps to create the duplicated backup set will do the job.

Russ

There is no size limit to a file backup set, except that the data and catalog portions need to fit on a single disk volume. Once the volume is full, you can no longer write to the backup set; you can't span to a second member.

Cloning both the data and catalog portions of an existing file backup set should work, provided you rename the copy (and its catalog) in Finder to something different from the original backup set. You don't want two backup sets with the same name.

I seem to be okay as far as my original question. I have duplicated my original backup set onto a new drive along with the catalog. I then created a new destination in the script and pointed it to the new backup drive. However my first attempt at running a "normal backup" ended with the following error -

+ Normal backup using G5 2007 Backup at 8/4/2009 12:46 AM

To backup set G5 2007 Backup B…

- 8/4/2009 12:46:28 AM: Copying Charles…

Can't save Snapshot in G5 2007 Backup B, error -194 (unknown).

8/4/2009 12:46:28 AM: Execution incomplete.

Quit at 8/4/2009 1:10 AM

I then ran a "Recatalog" on both the original and the duplicate of the original, both ending with this -

+ Executing Recatalog at 8/4/2009 10:24 AM

To backup set G5 2007 Backup B…

Can't create Snapshot, error -194 (unknown).

This went on for 218 occurrences. So it appears that all of the snapshots have somehow disappeared. Not quite sure where to go from here.

Charles