multiple clients stopped communicating?

For some reason about 10 days ago 20 or so of my 40 clients stopped backing up. The logs say something to the effect of

To Media Set Administrative Media...

> Can't access volume King on King Optiplex 600334 724, error -530 ( backup client not found)

> Can't access volume My Files on King Optiplex 600334 724, error -530 ( backup client not found)

> Can't access volume PMAIL on King Optiplex 600334 724, error -530 ( backup client not found)

8/2/2009 9:55:02 PM: Execution incomplete

The clients have all been working correctly for 6 or so weeks before this problem with no trouble communicating. No changes were made to the server or clients. The clients are a mix of Mac, Windows, and a Linux client.

When I test them in the add sources window it reports the clients running correctly. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the clients and it makes no difference. I can add the client into the server but it is unable to communicate with the client after being added.

Any suggestions? This is turning out to be a big problem and I have no way yet to get the backing up again.

Thanks!

I installed the server component on a workstation to use as a test server. When I add clients on the test server they seem to behave correctly.

The same clients that work correctly on the test server are still not communicating with my original server. On the original server, removing and adding back the clients does not help. I have tried stopping and restarting the retrospect process on the original server and it makes no difference. The clients are added successfully, and the volumes they contain are listed correctly, but when a backup is initiated it immediately fails and the log notes that it is unable to communicate with the client (error -530.)

I would very much like to salvage the original server if possible, or at least the scripts and catalogs etc. Due to lag in the console interface it takes hours to customize everything from scratch again.

Any suggestions? Thanks!