Tape snapshot problem

I have a schedule which runs a backup set daily Tape snapshot. However when it runs it asks for a new tape because the tape has x number of snapshots already on it.

I have more than 1 tape so there is no need for me to keep the last snapshot stored on it.

Is there a way that I can make it erase all snapshots on the tape before writing to the tape?

You have to do that when a backup set consists of more than one tape, regardless of the number of snapshots.

TIP: If your backup sets normally consists of 13 tapes, you should consider investing in a higher capacity tape device or a tape loader or both.

Sorry I think you misunderstood me. I have a set of tapes, one for each day. Each day I put in a new tape for a new job so that I have the data from each day stored on tape to take off site.

Somehow the snapshots haven't been erasing from the tape and it looks like they have been storing up over time. I guess I'll just have to set each tape to 1-tape snapshot until I have used all the tapes. Then hopefully they will say at that and not start creeping up again saving more than 1 snapshot on each tape.

Yes, you lost me again. You have only one backup set, it seems, and its named "Tape Snapshots".

I would have understood if you had "Tape Snapshots Mon", "Tape Snapshots Tue" and so on.

Or if you do "New Media" backups, you would have "Tape Snapshots [001]", "Tape Snapshots [002]" and so on.

• 3 weeks later...

I too am lost on this, why can't Retrospect add the ability to simply overwrite whatever tape is in the drive. Disk to Disk works well but getting the latest Snapshot for offsite DR is a pain and should be automated as it is in many other DDT backup products. TIA for consideration.

I too am lost on this, why can't Retrospect add the ability to simply overwrite whatever tape is in the drive.

One of Retrospect's nice features is the fact that it tries very hard to PREVENT a user from accidently erasing a tape. So the operator has to provide a manually erased tape or EXACTLY the correct tape. With a proper backup schedule and proper procedures, that isn't a problem at all.