Problem using multiple hard drives for media

I back up to two external portable hard drives, which I swap out each week. With previous versions of Retrospect I could use the same scripts regardless of which portable hard drive was serving as the media. Unless I am missing something Retrospect 8 for Macintosh requires a different set of scripts for each external portable hard drive.

Am I missing something? Anyone have a fix for this problem?

I could use the same scripts regardless of which portable hard drive was serving as the media.

You need a different media set for each destination disk

Note that Scripts and Media Sets are different. One Script can contain multiple Media Sets, with different Schedules backing up to those different destinations.

With Retrospect "Classic" you could use a portable hard drive with either a File Backup Set or a Removable Disk Backup Set. With Retrospect 8, that changes to File or Disk Media Sets.

So it all depends on how you write your Script, and how you create the Schedules in that Script.

• 8 months later...

I read this topic, and I'm struggling with a similar issue: I have two hard drives, that I swap - one is always off-site. I don't have a regular schedule, when I swap the drives and I want Retrospect to backup to the available / present drive. So I'm looking into the smartest way to do that.

One Script with two MediaSets: I tried to use one script containing two MediaSets, with the same schedules. -> This didn't work, since Retrospect waits for the first MediaSet in the list to be present, to continue.

Two seperate scripts, each with a different MediaSet -> This works, since one script waiting for media is not interring with the other. There is the performance issue though, that one script has to finish to scan a source before it realizes, that there is no MediaSet available.

Proactive Backups: I am currently looking into proactive backup scripts. They seem to be a but more tolerant, coping with MediaSets that are not present. A proactive backup script seems to run, even if one of the MediaSets is present - it just uses the present MediaSet.

Is there another / smarter solution, that I'm missing?

I'm adding a reply simply because I came here looking for the answer to this same question. Two alternating backup drives, no predefined schedule. If I add both media sets to the same script, the script only tries one of the media sets then fails if that drive isn't present.

I have not tried the proactive backup.

Kind of tough without a user manual...

If I add both media sets to the same script, the script only tries one of the media sets then fails if that drive isn't present.

Scripts don't try anything, Schedules do.

And each Schedule is defined to use one specific Media Set.

So if you have a Script with two Media Sets assigned, what do your scripts look like, and what exactly do you see when the scheduled time(s) arrive?

Dave

I'd like to do this too. Is there is a way to ensure that every member of a media set has a copy of every file? Alternately, is there a way to disable a script temporarily. That way you could just toggle the enable state of the scripts when you switch media, it's would be a bit of a pain, but probably not so bad to do once a week while you're swapping media anyway.

Proactive Backups: I am currently looking into proactive backup scripts. They seem to be a but more tolerant, coping with MediaSets that are not present. A proactive backup script seems to run, even if one of the MediaSets is present - it just uses the present MediaSet.

My understanding is that Proactive Backup Scripts are equivalent to Backup Server Scripts in Retrospect 6. Can anyone confirm this?

Is this is true, then this is the way to go. I have this set up at the moment, but haven't brought my 2nd drive back onsite to try it out properly yet. (It worked like this in Retrospect 6 well.)

My understanding is that Proactive Backup Scripts are equivalent to Backup Server Scripts in Retrospect 6. Can anyone confirm this?

Yep. That's the "newspeak". See the EMC Retrospect 8.1 Read Me

Retrospect 8.1 also introduces several important terminology changes:

Old Version 6.1 Terminology      Version 8.1 Terminology

Backup Sets                      Media Sets
Subvolumes                       Favorite Folders
Selectors                        Rules
Duplicate                        Copy
Backup Server Script             Proactive Backup Script
Source Groups                    Tags