Can't complete log-in to client

Hi.

I note others have this problem, but I haven't found a solution that works.

Retrospect server running v 6.1.126 (I believe). Intel iMac client is running MacOS 10.5.6, client v 6.1.107. The client shows up in the network list of clients, but the log-in process continues to fail after a net retry. Which, of course, means no backups for that client.

A similar iMac on the network is running the same version of the MacOS and Retrospect client and works fine and dandy.

What gives?

I've tried removing and reinstalling both the client and the server software (though I did get a cryptic error message that not all files could be deleted, the removal did nuke all the scripts and the clients database) and various restarts. Also tried the 6.1.130 version of the client with no luck.

Is this solved with an upgrade to both the server and client? And if so, does that mean server version 6.1.230 and client version 6.2.234?

TIA,

mm

A similar iMac on the network ... works fine and dandy.

- What sort of network is it?

- What tests have you done to confirm that it's not simply a network hardware issue?

If you plug this iMac into the cable that the other iMac is successfully connected to, does the issue persist?

Dave

It's a 100-Base-T ethernet network.

I didn't try plugging that iMac into another location, but the affected iMac can surf the web and send and receive mail and access the network's AFP file server without difficulty.

Again, the Retrospect Server sees the client and eventually lists it as responding, but it won't let me get past the first of the three tabs on the configure client screen after logging in to it.

mm

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so I plugged the problematic Mac into a different ethernet line (which is working for another Mac) and it failed in the same manner, as I thought it would.

To recap the details:

Retrospect server running v 6.1.126. Intel iMac client is running MacOS 10.5.6, client v 6.1.130. The client shows up in the network list of clients, accepts a client password, but the log-in process fails a net retry. Which, of course, means no backups for that client.

I found this online...

http://forums.dantz.com/showtopic.php?tid/28144

...which seems to describe our case.

Bu the fix...

1. Kill the client on the suspect machine (command-Click on the client Off button)

2. Start the client from the command line with logging set to 9

Code:

$ cd /Applications/Retrospect\ Client.app/Contents/Resources

$ ./retroclient -log 9

3. Attempt to connect to the client

4. Kill the client (command-Click on the client Off button)

5. send the retroclient.log to emcinsignia_forums@emc.com

...fails for me with an error that retroclient is not found.

Other suggestions anyone?

TIA,

mm

Well, one thing I notice is that you are using a very old version of the Retrospect app, and a fairly old version of Retrospect client on a client computer running a very new OS. Unless you have some compelling reason to do this, I'd recommend updating both immediately. (I would recommend using the client installer to uninstall the old client software before updating.)

The latest (free) downloads are available here.