Pioneer DVD Drive will not respond

I have enabled the retro.ini file and Retrospect can see the drive under storage devices, but when clicking eject Nothing happens at all.

I am getting desperate now to do some archiving onto DVD...please help if anyone can get my drive to work with retro 8!!!

Am running MacPro Dual Core Intel on 10.5.6 with internal Pioneer DVD DL 111D

Thanks!

Some progress...

have now changed the DVD drive to be on the end of the connecter cable so I can now use the eject key on the keyboard to drive the tray.

BUT that only works whilst the .ini file is set to 1.

Setting to 0 and allowing Retrospect to use the drive disables the eject keyboard usage AND retrospect cannot eject the drive...

• 1 month later...

Thanks Robin,

I have tried that option to no avail...see my threads below and Ill post my latest response separately, perhaps you can help me out here?

Many Thanks

Response (Peter) 21/04/2009 01.54 PM

Dear Simon Chandler,

Thank you for contacting Iomega Technical Support. Please note that your incident number is 090402-002483 .

Unfortunatly their is no way to contact the engineers who work on such issues. This is something they keep in mind for future firmware fixes or software updates.

We do apolagize for the inconvinience but their is no way for us to tell when this issue may be solved.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us by replying to this e-mail.

Kind Regards,

Peter

Iomega Technical Support.

Customer (Simon Chandler) 21/04/2009 01.24 PM

Is there any news on this issue??

I am now very desperate to continue using retrospect to archive work onto DVD but cannot as this issue is not cleared. Is there any way I can contact "The Development Team"?

Thanks

Customer (Entered by Claudio) 17/04/2009 09.59 AM

Do you have any update about this issue

Response (Peter) 07/04/2009 10.37 AM

Dear Simon Chandler,

Thank you for contacting Iomega Technical Support. Please note that your incident number is 090402-002483 .

The issue has been forwarded to the Retrospect development team but we will not be able tell when the issue might be solved.

We apolagize for any inconvinience this may cause you

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us by replying to this e-mail.

Kind Regards,

Peter

Customer (Entered by Jordan) 06/04/2009 01.40 PM

looking to see if the issue is any further.

Customer (Simon Chandler) 03/04/2009 01.55 PM

>

Hello

retrospect version is:

Version 8.0 (8.0.594.1)

Running on Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual Core INTEL Xeon with System 10.5.6

using PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D:

Hope that Helps.

FYI

I also tried a different internal DVD drive PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-110D

but still had exact same issues.

Thanks

Simon Chandler

Response (Peter) 03/04/2009 01.27 PM

Dear Simon Chandler,

To further understand the issue you are expericancing, and to find an answer, i would like to ask you the details of the mac being used.

Most importantly, is it an intel based mac?

Also, what is the exact version of retrospect, in my notes i have that you are using version 8. is this correct? i need this to be 100% sure

Kind Regards,

Peter

Customer (Entered by Peter) 02/04/2009 02.02 PM

Retrospect finds the optical drive but does not let you eject it, even though it says it has been done

Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-111D is the DVD drive

Mac 10.5.6

Not customized driver

Cant eject normally, need to use disk utility.

.ini file changed from 1 to 0

When changing it back from 0 to 1 the drive works perfectly

Edited by Guest

My latest thread respose to a question that is still un resolved with support...

This should not be closed, it is still as far as I am concerned an outstanding issue, the drive specified is supported by Retrospect, I have bought the software in good faith checking that the hardware is compatible which it is.

BUT still the drive will not even respond or eject via the retrospect software.

A MAJOR update has just been released 8.0.733 but still no fix for this issue.

I have spent money on this product and HOURS trying to resolve this.

Can someone please contact development to find out if this will ever be fixed, I cannot comprehend that you as a SUPPORT department cannot contact engineers ("Unfortunatly their is no way to contact the engineers who work on such issues.")....it is beyond belief, what is the point of a support team who cannot speak to the people who develop and program the software...unbelievable...

Retrospect needs to take out the Pioneer drives it says it supports when clearly Retro 8 DOES NOT WORK.

How long should I wait before a fix for something you quote as supported?

I am sorry about the reply you got from our support staff in Europe. I will work with them to improve the overall escalation process.

The issue is logged as bug 21828 and is still open on the bug stack.

In order to address the issue, we had to open a bug with Apple (Radar bug 6578061) which they have told us should be fixed in 10.5.7 which was just released yesterday. In addition to the Apple bug fix, a change in Retrospect is needed.

Now that 10.5.7 is released, we can make our code changes and test the issue for our next scheduled release which should happen some time in June. I can't say for sure which bugs will get fixed for our June release, but I will remind engineering about this issue.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a similar problem.

I think what you need to do in order to make it work is to stop the Retrospect engine.

Open the tray from the Finder.

Start the Retrospect Engine.

Put the DVD-RW in the tray and close it by pushing the tray.

Wait a little until the DVD starts up, and you should be up and running.

The problem could to be that the Retrospect engine can't access the drive if the Finder already have taken charge of it, which seems to be the case if you insert a DVD without the Retrospect engine running.

Therefore you cannot eject an empty tray from Retrospect, nor can you eject a DVD that was put there before the Retrospect engine was started.

I have posted this in the subforum "Retrospect 8.0 bug reports".